Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bipod and sling question

RJH

What is the current go to for a bipod and sling for three gun. Just getting into open so I've never messed with a bipod in competition and I don't want to have to buy twice LOL. The bipod needs to mount to pic rail. Also the sling would be for a rifle specifically for three gun. 

And slightly off topic but while I'm thinking about it, are Magpul mag couplers very good or should I look at something else? Just wanted couplers specifically for pmags, and maybe 40 round pmags

So as a caveat, I don't shoot in Open or Modified so I don't use a bipod at matches. But I own a few and have tested them with an eye towards 3G use. As cool as things like the Atlas bipods, AccuTac and MDT are, they are unnecessarily finely adjustable and slow to deploy. A good old fashioned Harris deploys quickly with one hand and no buttons, and no buttons to stow. The Magpul deploys the same but needs buttons pushed to stow, although I think deployment is more important than the reverse. Both of them are fairly light, stable enough for a hastily built position, and the Magpul is pretty snag free. 

For couplers I have some Magpuls, but usually when I want coupled mags it's more for prone stability than ammo capacity, so I default to using my Talyor Freelance coupled mags. Usually a 20 and 30rd coupled together to give me two options for height. The basepads have a sharp golf ball texture that digs in and grips. I like them a lot, which is good because they aren't cheap.

Edited by TonytheTiger

i have a magpul bipod on a qd mount with a small rail on the handguard and there's nothing wrong with it.  it has pretty good movement built in for smaller transitions or uneven surfaces like a boulder, but it's not as fast as a harris to deploy ( i.e. the guys with paracord mounted to the legs) and requires buttons and a pull to adjust out the legs vs harris is a sprung button that snaps fully out at once. it's light and sturdy.  if i were shooting more majors i'd likely try a harris out just to see but it's been good enough. i'ts more important to know whatever one works.  mine has the mount where i added a larue tactical pic qd to it.

i like the mbx pmag base pads for rifle, they add a handful length dependent, and they can be configured without tools plus have wings and you can build crazy contraptions like 3 mags wide for probably 6" of width if you felt the need. expensive though.

i have both blue force and vtac and keep going back to the vtac but they're both good. i highly recommend getting non rotating qd sockets for your rifle or you could find yourself with a surprisingly spun up sling when you go looking to adjust on the clock. 

I have magpuls ... it was bad 1 time when i needed to stow the bipod in the middle of a stage. Other than that it's been fine.

For slings I use Frank Proctor slings: Proctor Sling S/R (Shotgun/Rifle) - FrankProctorShooting

I liked the minimalist approach of using 550 as attachment points. 

However, after a few years I adjusted to a slightly different setup. I have a 550 cord loop that i leave on the front and stock of the rifle. I added magpul paraclips to both ends of the proctor sling.  So I have the simple/quiet 550 attachment points and quick detach.

I use atlas and MDT bipod I had a harris and it worked good , if you go the Harris route make sure you get one that you can can't.  The Harris is the easiest to deploy that being said I probably use a bag more than I do a bipod as far a sling goes its had to beat a vtac