Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will 44 magnum speed loaders work with 45 auto rim?

Couch-Commando

I'm still in the process of daydreaming about what I want to end up competing with. I would like to eventually shoot two divisions since the local match allows for it. Initially I was thinking I would end up eventually getting a model 25 in 45 ACP to compete in limited 6, and a model 29 shooting 44 Russians for classic, since no one other than hks makes speed loaders for the 45 auto rim. Then I looked up the specs on the cartridge on wikipedia. According to the wiki pages, the rim diameter for 45 auto rim is 0.5154, while the rim width on the 44 magnum is 0.514. This is obviously very very close. I'm wondering, has anyone tried shooting 45 auto rim out of a model 25 or 625 with 44 magnum speed loaders? This seems like it would dramatically simplify logistics if feasible!

CC

years ago i briefly experimented with 45 AR and the HKS speed loaders. It worked ok but accuracy of the AR was less than stellar in my 45. 

if you like i can dig up some AR brass for you to try in you loaders. If you’re coming to this weekend’s match i can give them to you there. 

I’m new to ICORE so I don’t know how they apply the rule book. I was considering having Toolguy cut my 586 for moons and shooting it in both Limited 6 and Classic. As I read the rule that would be disallowed, but I don’t know. Maybe Dave has some experience with this sort of thing.

-john

7 hours ago, practical_man said:

CC

years ago i briefly experimented with 45 AR and the HKS speed loaders. It worked ok but accuracy of the AR was less than stellar in my 45. 

if you like i can dig up some AR brass for you to try in you loaders. If you’re coming to this weekend’s match i can give them to you there. 

I’m new to ICORE so I don’t know how they apply the rule book. I was considering having Toolguy cut my 586 for moons and shooting it in both Limited 6 and Classic. As I read the rule that would be disallowed, but I don’t know. Maybe Dave has some experience with this sort of thing.

-john

Perfectly legal to shoot a gun cut for clips in classic as long as you’re meeting the requirements for classic while doing it. 

MWP - thanks for clearing that up. 

So, if I understand you correctly I could shoot my 586 (6 shot) in classic with speed loaders and then shoot the same revolver in limited 6 using moon clips with the same revolver in the same match?  

-john

Edited by practical_man
Spelling

1 hour ago, practical_man said:

MWP - thanks for clearing that up. 

So, if I understand you correctly I could shoot my 586 (6 shot) in classic with speed loaders and then shoot the same revolver in limited 6 using moon clips with the same revolver in the same match?  

-john

Yes, I've done it with my m29.

I tried some AR brass in Safariland Comp 1 loaders, rims too thick, couldn't get the loader knob to rotate closed at all.

I had some HKS loaders for AR brass but didn't like how loosey goosey the rounds were held, gave them away....... 

My brother had his S&W MDL 29 cut for moon clips and used automag brass. This brass is the same as .45 acp rim and the moon clips were for 45acp. The 25 cylinder should be the same diameter.

The drawbacks were that the machinist said the MDL 29 cylinder was so hard it was very hard to machine. This was in an original 29 with rebated cylinders - .44 mag rim enclosed in the cylinder. Might not be so bad with the newer ones with no rebate.

The other drawback is the gunsmith was a friend and he is out of business.

Others may take on the challenge.

I made a M29 44 Automag revolver many years ago, when bowling pin shooting was popular. I made 500 brass out of 308 rifle brass because it was unobtainable at that time. That took forever. Starline makes 44 Automag brass now. This is the first I've heard of another 44AM revolver.

Well, unrelated to the topic at hand, but instead of going to the ICORE match today I zeroed my revolver for the competition load. Everything reliably went bang and it is zeroed at 25 yards, so I'm going to make it to the August ICORE match through hell or high water!

I'm noticing that google is becoming totally useless for researching old forum posts. After expending considerable effort, someone on AR15.com verified that 45 auto rim works for HKS 44 mag speed loaders, and I found a forum post from 15 years ago indicating 45 Auto Rim works in SL Variant loaders. Basically, I'm strongly considering spending ~300 bucks on SL variant 44 magnum loaders, but don't want to do it if I'm going to dump the gun for a 38 special for classic in the future.

My load testing today was for a 44 Russian, loaded with a 180 grain bullet over 3.7 grains of Bullseye. I forgot my chronograph, but it was definitely light! I think light enough to be competitive. It was advertised as being 750 fps in the load data, which if correct would give it a power factor on par with full power 9mm.