Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at a Prodigy

71Commander

How low have you guys gone with your main spring?

I'm running a 10# recoil spring and a 19# hammer spring and the gun is sensitive to thumb pressure on the slide. Just a bit too much and I get stove pipes.

I'm going to try a 9# recoil spring and a 17# hammer spring.

Detail stripped it last night, except for the extractor and ejector.  The grip module screws are indeed too long and do leave marks on the magazine.  They start off at 0.2765”.  If you shorten them to 0.256”, they are then flush with the T-nut openings that point into the magwell.  Why Springfield wants these screws 2/100” too long, I can only guess.  Maybe to mitigate magazines ramming the ejector on aggressive reloads?

The main parts look really good - frame, slide, barrel.  The disconnector track is polished to a velvety shine.  The feed ramp is highly polished, and the barrel overall is shiny though not quite as glass-finish polished as an Atlas barrel.

The grip texture surprised me pleasantly.  It feels almost like sandpaper.

One of the best things is that the gun and mags fit the holster and mag pouches I use for the Nemesis.

15 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

All this Prodigy talk made me have to get one.  The store with one nearest to me only has the 5”.  So that’s what I got.

IMG_6175.jpeg

Congrats, I think you're gonna like it! FYI, you can use other magwells for the 2011 platform, you're not locked in to the EGW magwell. You do have to do some minor mods to the bottom of the grip module to use them though.

On 10/26/2023 at 3:03 PM, ddc said:

I'm going to try a 9# recoil spring and a 17# hammer spring.

Same here.  I watched a video of a guy shooting his 5” Prodigy with a 9# recoil spring and it shot quite flat.

I use 17# hammer springs in two 1911s and have Dawson extended length firing pins in both, so I ordered one for the Prodigy.  Have never had light strikes, the hammer is very easy to cock, and it helps with trigger weight.

Also, I’m going to use the firing pin springs that come with Wolff recoil springs.  The Prodigy factory firing pin spring seems extra power, which might be why they have such a heavy hammer spring.

Edited by GunBugBit

The Prodigy does have a lot of MIM parts - ejector, sear, hammer, disconnector, strut, mag catch.  I’m on the fence about replacing any of these until they break and as long as they work.  I’ll at least shoot the gun first.

The grip safety doesn’t appear to be MIM and I like the part.  Very much like the ones on my PM-9s.  They tuned the grip safety spring light (a good thing), so I don’t think I’ll adjust that.  I only have issues with grip safeties when the spring is set too heavy and/or there are issues with the engagement arm geometry - both easily dealt with.

EGW is currently out of stock on the ledge style slide stops for the Prodigy.  I put in a “Notify Me” for that part.

Edited by GunBugBit

19 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

EGW is currently out of stock on the ledge style slide stops for the Prodigy.  I put in a “Notify Me” for that part.

This is my first exposure to the 2011 platform. I was surprised how "protected" the slide stop is by the frame.

Not a big deal for USPSA but I want to use the gun for IDPA on occasion as well. A lot more slide lock reloads in that game.

I'll probably look at something with a little more to grab on to.

EGW has another ledge-style slide stop for 9mm.

https://www.egwguns.com/hd-block-slide-stop-200-pin-9mm-38-10mm-40-s-w-stainless-steel

The pin is 0.200", which is 2/1000" thicker than the one they have for the Prodigy (they say that one's pin is 0.198").

I think this part might work, if one wants to take on reducing the pin diameter.  I asked whether this part would work on a Prodigy on the EGW web site.  Will let you know when they get back to me.

Edited by GunBugBit

One small issue I encountered is that my 9mm reloads are too tight in the Prodigy's chamber and/or the barrel just beyond the chamber.  Factory 9mm is fine.  I took some measurements.

Reloads:

Bullet diameter just above case mouth:  0.352" to 0.354"

Top of brass case mouth (crimp area):  0.374" to 0.376"

Factory 9mm:

Bullet diameter just above case mouth:  0.352"

Top of brass case mouth (crimp area):  0.373"

When I get a chance, I'll try tightening my crimp a couple of thou and see if that does the trick.  My reloads have no issues in two 1911s and a Glock (KKM barrel).

Edited by GunBugBit

1 hour ago, GunBugBit said:

I asked whether this part would work on a Prodigy on the EGW web site.  Will let you know when they get back to me.

Now I see that someone asked the question already, and the answer is:  yes, it will work with the Prodigy.

3 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

One small issue I encountered is that my 9mm reloads are too tight in the Prodigy's chamber and/or the barrel just beyond the chamber.  Factory 9mm is fine.  I took some measurements.

I found the same, tight chamber and short, with coated really need to check and load short.