Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide vs Frame

Joe4d

So 2 guns being equal,, other than the optic mount.. SHooter doesnt have enough time with an optic to have developed any index memory. 
I have heard for USPSA type games the frame is better... But wondering if it makes much of a difference in a game like steel challenge with a single shot then transition.
Had some discussions about bowling pins and I didnt see a big difference in optics and irons for that game.. 
Yeh I am still bobbing along in the Pacific, aint seen land in 2 weeks and BE is the only webpage our ragedy internet seems to be capable of loading.

I have both types.  When my eyes said no to irons I started putting optics on all my guns.  Initially, I used dovetail adapters on my 45s and 40.  They work fine and the optics live.

Adding a dovetail adapter and a dot to the slide adds weight.  I had the slide lightened on my TS and mounted a dot directly onto the slide of a 1911 45 on the rear scallop cut.  The amount of material removed pretty much equaled the weight of the dot, so the action doesn't feel sluggish.

For all my Open pistols I went with frame mounted.  I had all the slides lightened to 10.5 oz. and didn't want to add any weight.

Frame mounted is superior.  Movement of the dot is less in the window and its way easier on the dot itself.  I had one pistol I was fooling with and had the same SRO mounted on either the slide or frame at various times to compare.

On 7/6/2023 at 1:52 AM, Joe4d said:

So 2 guns being equal,, other than the optic mount.. SHooter doesnt have enough time with an optic to have developed any index memory. 
I have heard for USPSA type games the frame is better... But wondering if it makes much of a difference in a game like steel challenge with a single shot then transition.
Had some discussions about bowling pins and I didnt see a big difference in optics and irons for that game.. 
Yeh I am still bobbing along in the Pacific, aint seen land in 2 weeks and BE is the only webpage our ragedy internet seems to be capable of loading.

I've tried a slide mounted optic several times for rimfire steel challenge.  I was always a little bit slower with them than I was with the old tried and true frame mounted C-More Serendipity.  I thought maybe it was the difference between the mini red dot and the C-More, so I put together another rimfire Open pistol and milled the Nelson conversion Picatinny rail to mount the dot directly to the rail so it would be very close to the same height as the slide mounted optic.  I used 6 moa dots on both guns.  Both guns are on 2011 frames, and are almost exactly the same weight.  Average times with both guns are the same.  Tried the CWA upper with the slide mount optic....slower.  Oh well, at least now I have a spare rimfire Open pistol....or two.

Keep paddling, the Pacific is big, but if you paddle long enough eventually you'll hit land.

Nolan

Funny.  When I shoot pistols at a match it is always RFPO and Open.  The rimfire is a CWA with slide mounted DPP 2, 2.5 MOA.  The Open gun wears a frame mounted SRO 5 MOA.  I have no problem switching between them.  I shoot them so often my subconscious just puts the dot on steel.

Poseidon had to beet snot out of us just once before pulling in...Crew change tonight...
Freedom bird in the AM.
I actually have to identical guns, one frame cut , gonna order a mount for the other, although my main interests are ICORE and Steel,, and have a pretty good 22 set up. Not many matches in my AO.. a couple great ones ,, that are both on same day..