Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wrist Weights?

Bigbadaboom

This was brought up and I don't really think it would work but.............

What about using some sort of wrist weights (Like ankle weights for running) during draw/reload drills and maybe even transition drills? I feel it could make you "over-swing" everything but I told my Brother I would post the idea and get some responses.

I have found that reloads are more about rhythm than strength. It seems to me that wearing weights would be more detrimental than helpful.

I think strength training in general, however, separate from dry or live fire, is very beneficial.

Edited by davidball

+1

Grip strengthening is helpful to your overall technique, as is the ability to keep the gun stable at normal extension in your freestyle/SHO/WHO platform at the end of a long string/COF.

A double duty exercise is to put a weight at the end of a cord tied to a length of broomstick. Keeping the stick out at arms length, roll the cord up and down by twisting the stick using only hands and wrists. You can do this both palms up and palms down. You can add weight or reps as you get stronger, and/or increase the distance up and down by standing on a stool or on a flight of stairs.

Works for Jerry M. (though Mr. Gorilla grip has other exercises as well) :P

Edited by kevin c

I bought wrist weights awhile ago and tried doing draws and reloads with them. My intent was to increase my draw speed. I found the weights to be detrimental to my practice because they were bulky (therefore in the way) and the positioning of the additional weight hurt my already injured right wrist.

What I think works better is a magazine filled with lead; I have one for singlestacks that I love, actually I have two...one filled with lead (make by my cast bullet guy, thanks Rich!) and a second I made by mixing old lead bullets with a caulk like material to approximate the weight of a loaded mag.

But ankle weights for jogging, now those I still wanna try :D

I have been trying this lately since I have a job sitting at a desk waiting for someone to show up. 5# weights held horizontally like a T for 5 minutes, relax for 5 then straight out in front in a shooting position for 5. Repeat as necessary.

I tried this very thing; didnt work very well at all.

1. The ankles weights are actually pretty thick, and can prevent getting your grip/wrists in the right position for reloads/draws.

2. The "weight" aspect didn't help either; it really reduced felt recoil, and when I would then shoot without the weight, I could feel the gun being lifted by my arms; in a way, it now felt too light.

Platypus Man

FY42385

I got my hands on some thin ones that were 5 or 6 pounds. After dry-firing with them a few minutes a day for several days, I felt more in control of my arm movements once I took them off.

I even shot in them once, but that really didn't feel right! Less felt recoil though.

Phil