Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Moonclip holder rules and power factor questions

minnesota1

I met a guy who shots and practices IDPA.  I’ve been out of the game for a long long time, but love revolvers.  I already have a 4” 625 and bladetech holster.  I reload so couple questions, what is the power factor needed in revolver division?  I’ve seen 165 and 155 so I’m not for sure.  I have a bunch of 230 gr round nose bullets, any powder that is preferred now?

Moon clip holders:  which one and how many are allowed?  What about placement- are there rules on that?   Anything else I’m missing?   Any particular belts that everyone is using?  He has a NexBelt - never heard of them. Hahaha.  

Thanks so much for your help!!

Edited by minnesota1

Not to be mean, but you should download the latest rule book and have a look through it. A lot has probably changed since you last shot it. The rules changed several times just this year.

I'd imagine any moonclip holder will work now as long as it's concealed. But, TBH I don't pay much attention to revolver rules these days. 

I do know PF rules are still 105 for speed loader guns and 155 for moon clip guns and the two go head to head against each other. No more SSR and ESP. Most people seem to pick speed loaders and 105, If it were me I'd stick with what you have and run moons at 160 ish. 

Having a stud in the moon clip holder that protrudes through the clip is problematic.  Here are the rules:

8.6.3 Speed Loader and Moon Clip Carrier Rules
8.6.3.1 Be suitable for concealed carry and all day continuous wear.
8.6.3.2 Speed loader carriers must either be of open top configuration and must retain the speed loader by tension or
retain the speed loader with a snap or Velcro closure. Moon clip carriers must either be of open top configuration, and must retain the moon clip by tension and a stud that protrudes through the center of the clip, or retains the moon clip with a snap or Velcro closure.
8.6.3.3 Moon clips may not be retained in the carrier by 3 or less cartridges.
8.6.3.4 The same exact location for speed loaders, speed loader pouches, moon clips, moon clip pouches, and/or
ammunition feeding devices in pockets must be used for every stage in a single match, unless otherwise specified in a stage description.

28 minutes ago, BHBret said:

Having a stud in the moon clip holder that protrudes through the clip is problematic.  Here are the rules:

False. The rules you quoted literally say it's fine. I also shot Nationals last year, a L2, and a L4 this year using open holders with posts with zero issues.

Personally, I like the Revolver Supply Co holders, either with a single moon or with two stacked.

And yes, 105 PF for SSR, 155 PF for ESR, and they're just equipment categories of the same division (which is simply "Revolver"). No rules about placement as long as they're hidden from view with your concealment garment on, and you can have four moons at the start signal.

Edited by matteekay

I had a match director point out to me that my 625 moon clip holder’s stud didn’t protrude and wasn’t legal. I checked the rules and it states that requirement “…and a stud that protrudes through the center of the clip”.  I modified the holder so that there is now a stud that protrudes.  Here are before and after pictures. The post just needs to protrude, but I made sure it REALLY protruded.  YMMV with your match directors. 

IMG_6298.jpeg

IMG_6297.jpeg

1 hour ago, BHBret said:

I had a match director point out to me that my 625 moon clip holder’s stud didn’t protrude and wasn’t legal. I checked the rules and it states that requirement “…and a stud that protrudes through the center of the clip”.  I modified the holder so that there is now a stud that protrudes.  Here are before and after pictures. The post just needs to protrude, but I made sure it REALLY protruded.  YMMV with your match directors. 

IMG_6298.jpeg

IMG_6297.jpeg

I wouldn't call it "problematic", though. The rules state the post needs to protrude and yours clearly doesn't but most on the market do. See: Hogue, Revolver Supply Co, North Mountain, etc. I actually made my own by taking the metal Safariland speed loader holders and adding a post through the center, and ran one of those paired with a RSC holder for the last two seasons to have three moons up front and close together.

Yours look like the old California Competition Works holders. They used to sell a "button" that goes into the top of the post specifically designed to make them IDPA legal.

Edited by matteekay

Minnesote !, I suggest you modify your old California Comp speed loader holders by finding a round piece of nylon or plastic that wil lfit in the ID of your holder and protrude thru the clip. your local hardware store should have them in stock. Your 230 grain will work well, I have found Hodgdon  Clays to be clean burning and accurate. 

So if you are allowed to have 4 moonclips when the buzzer goes off where do most have them placed?  A double stack in front of the holster and a double stack behind it?  Trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, minnesota1 said:

So if you are allowed to have 4 moonclips when the buzzer goes off where do most have them placed?  A double stack in front of the holster and a double stack behind it?  Trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

My setup is goofy. One double stack up front with a single holder next to it, then one single holder behind my hip for "load and make ready". It keeps my reloads as tight together as possible.

I can run a triple stack with .40's but the top moon is loose enough that it could bounce out. 

On 6/22/2023 at 8:51 PM, minnesota1 said:

I put all of mine under the left flap of my vest, opposite the holster—easier for me to sweep the garment out of the way going back and out than it is going in and back.

1 hour ago, Fishbreath said:

I put all of mine under the left flap of my vest, opposite the holster—easier for me to sweep the garment out of the way going back and out than it is going in and back.

I'd assume OP does a strong-hand reload if he's positioning his moons in the same side as the gun.

But if you're doing a weak-hand reload... yup, this.

Two years ago they DQ'd a guy for stacking moon clips. They told him only one clip per carrier is allowed.

They must have changed the rules since then. It happened right in front of me and I paid attention since I was shooting revolver but using speed loaders.

I just skimmed the rule book and could find no reference to stacking moon clips so it should be good to go.

Edited by hummerbk
new info

3 hours ago, hummerbk said:

Two years ago they DQ'd a guy for stacking moon clips. They told him only one clip per carrier is allowed.

They must have changed the rules since then. It happened right in front of me and I paid attention since I was shooting revolver but using speed loaders.

I just skimmed the rule book and could find no reference to stacking moon clips so it should be good to go.

Correct, there's no wording about one moon per holder any more.

• 2 months later...

I asked my Area Coordinator about double holders before I bought mine.  He said they were fine.  I'm in Virginia. I would note that the 4 moon clips include the one with which you load and make ready if you have a 6 round cylinder, so only 3 reloads.  The 5-shot revolvers get an extra reload.