Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification within division?

engineerjet

I'm new to USPSA and I'd like to understand how the classification system works. I read the rules and how to get a classification and the rankings, which is fine. What I could not find an answer to was how it works within divisions.

The rules say "Firearm types are not separated within their respective divisions; all compete together without handicap. This does not apply to the power of the firearms as power is an element to be recognized and rewarded.

If everyone on a given day shoots the same qualifier, does that mean all the divisions compete with each other in terms of scoring? Or are the scores eventually separated and grouped based on division? 

So an example is 4 people shot Open, 4 shot limited and 4 shot CO, even though the results may be mixed (a limited shooter may shoot faster than an open shooter) when it comes to a classification, everyone is ranked within their division and not against other divisions. Is that right? Or no?

You're ranked within your division (Limited, Production, Open, etc) within the divisions, you have shooters ranging from GM to D.

Here's the breakdown according to %

The USPSA Classification System

Grand Master 95 to 100%
Master 85 to 94.9%
A Class 75 to 84.9%
B Class 60 to 74.9%
C Class 40 to 59.9%
D Class Below 40%

1 hour ago, engineerjet said:

The rules say "Firearm types are not separated within their respective divisions; all compete together without handicap. This does not apply to the power of the firearms as power is an element to be recognized and rewarded.

No, this is the weasel-wording IPSC / USPSA added to get around Jeff Cooper's "all firearms compete together equally" when they wanted separate divisions after competition pistol design went a direction they didn't like many years ago.

So everyone in CO shoots against everyone in CO-- there's no high Glock CO or whatever, but the main divisions are separated from each other in the scores.

1 hour ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Classifier scores are based on national scores over time, not on individual matches.  Scores during matches should be computed by and within divisions, though many clubs will present an unofficial set of overall combined results for folks to review.

Local matches with a classifier still count though right? Just compared among national scores, not just local matches.

23 minutes ago, engineerjet said:

Local matches with a classifier still count though right? Just compared among national scores, not just local matches.

Correct. You'll have 2 things to look at on the results from a local with a classifier... The percentage, which will be for the percentage at the match, and then the hit factor. With that hit factor, you can use the USPSA app or website and what percentage that hit factor gets you in comparison to the "high hit factor" for that classifier in your division. That percentage is what goes towards your classification.

Go here and click the calculator button on the right of the screen and you can enter your hit factor for whatever classifier you shot and figure out your actual percentage. Your percentage at the match the day you shot the stage has nothing to do with your national classifier percentage. 

https://uspsa.org/classification/

Edited by waktasz

A very long time ago we had 'club classifications' that were based off your scores against other people at the club.  Those have long gone as far as I know, so all you get is the national one.

19 hours ago, shred said:

A very long time ago we had 'club classifications' that were based off your scores against other people at the club.  Those have long gone as far as I know, so all you get is the national one.

A club I ran used to do much the same.  It was mostly new shooters.  At first, we calculated a class A-D then we started looking at the math after about a year we figured out just bump everyone up one class from their USPSA class and change D to unclassified.  The only reason we did this was that we gave actually class awards (in the form of a metal piece that stuck on a nice plaque after every match and a nice plaque for year end.  This was back in the late 80s early 90s.  Nobody seems do that anymore.