Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How did you become a Match Director?

ColoradoNick

• 3 weeks later...

Several of us wanted to have a USPSA match at our club. One of us had to do it and it seemed like I had the most free time and least responsibilities so I took it on.

8 years later and I'm still doing it. We are very fortunate to have a large and helpful group of volunteers - we all work together to make the matches happen. If it wasn't for them I'd have burnt out long ago.

https://www.facebook.com/WestShorePracticalShooters

36 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

Several of us wanted to have a USPSA match at our club. One of us had to do it and it seemed like I had the most free time and least responsibilities so I took it on.

8 years later and I'm still doing it. We are very fortunate to have a large and helpful group of volunteers - we all work together to make the matches happen. If it wasn't for them I'd have burnt out long ago.

And by all accounts in the local nepa shooting area a good club too. 

2 hours ago, davidb72 said:

What about....

Are any of the other volunteers up to taking the MD role, to let you take some other role for a change, and in case you are ever busy with something else?

• 3 weeks later...

I was too stupid to say NO. Old match director ghosted the club, I had only been shooting with them for little over a year, but had more competition shooting under my belt then anyone else(new club). About a month out from the first match of the year, not sure why, but the new guy every one was an ass too was getting called. Note to clubs, don't be an ass to new shooters, they could save your club.  What do we do? 5 years latter  match numbers are up 70%, high earner for the host range five years in a row. I now have in place a core group of guess match directors to take a little bit of load off of me. With progress come consequences, now having trouble finding anyone willing to take over, host club wants more, as in can you do steel challenge and USPSA and IDPA and 3 gun, no, no,no! At some point you need to say no. I know it is my fault, when I took over the club it was a mess, no structure, no one really knew the rules for the game they wanted to play(witch has been the biggest issue). At one point last year I set up the match with 2 or 3 people helping, got all the tablets going and got everyone registered and shot the match as a walk on shooter, just walked up to a squad and shot.  I really miss shooting, it was so much fun, was the best I've shot at my own club in 5 years, didn't even plan on shooting that day, but winning a match in flip flops is fun.