Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoulder Tendenitus..

Rikarin

After I came home from Lady's Camp & Area 2, I noticed I have tendenitus on the back of my shoulder to elobow.

I used to have one on wrist and I got rid of it by weight lifting. Everybody swear by it and so do I. Ice and resting never worked but weightlifting did.

Now its on shoulder and I am not sure. Has anyone had problem and vanished it? How? Too much pain to do pushups for now.... :(

Since I am getting a bit older I have been learning about why things hurt :( . What I have read about tendonitis is that the way to help prevent it is to stretch and exercise the muscles involved. To relieve pain, rest and maybe anti-inflamatory drugs seem to be the answer. If it's your strong (shooting) arm, you may want to lay off for a couple weeks (get some weak hand training in) or switch to some minor loads if you are shooting major.

Later,

Chuck

Yes! Watch out!

some parts of the work out are good and some do more damage. do a search on the net and many sites have exersize to do. I had tears and did not know, made them worse by trying to work through the pain. = Dumb Do not try push ups untill you see a DR. DO NOT try pull ups!!! untill you see a DR. Very light bench should not be bad Like baby light 5bl

This is a good one lay on your side on the floor reach strait out ,paulm down and lift a small 3 to 5 bl

It feals like Tenites but it is realy tears , most likely. when it takes over a year to get better, You will wish you had ben wisser than me. I learned / am paying for the Dumb part, of 'pain is not a bad thing'

Like the work out great pain we used to enjoy from a hard work out. = this is not the same pain :huh:

Try not to keep doing anything causes pain in that area.

I slowly healed my left shoulder (which hurt mostly in the front) by reducing weight training and changing the exercises. I think my trouble was more rotator cuff than anything.

See a doctor if it keeps hurting, but your pain sounds like it may involve the tricep to some extent. If the pain fades, try hitting that area with a workout using only dumbells.

After it heals, do enough weight training to increase strength in that part of your upper-body. Hopefully that will keep the injury from happening again.

The shoulder is a complex and somewhat unstable joint. I hurt my rotator cuff and it's still not 100% after 9 months (I'm 39).

There are many rehab-type of exercises that you would not know/do if you perform standard lifting exercises. Do some research on the web and possibly see a doctor.

Good luck.

After I came home from Lady's Camp & Area 2, I noticed I have tendenitus on the back of my shoulder to elobow.

I used to have one on wrist and I got rid of it by weight lifting. Everybody swear by it and so do I. Ice and resting never worked but weightlifting did.

Now its on shoulder and I am not sure. Has anyone had problem and vanished it? How? Too much pain to do pushups for now.... :(

Rika,

Please listen to me. I just had the second of my shoulder decompression surgeries on 30 November. The first one was back in August. Go see your doctor as soon as possible. Get the following from him. You will probably need an x-ray and MRI to determine exactly what is going on in there. It might surprise you. It did me.

1. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Ibuprofen (Motrin) is effective, but can cause stomach upset. Naproxen Sodium (Naprosyn, Alieve) is also effective, but can cause other problems after prolonged use. Mobic is another one. You only have to take it twice daily. There are others that are also effective. Discuss the side effects with your doctor. Be very involved with the discussion and up front with him or her about your reactions if you have any.

2. Referral for physical therapy. The therapist will be able to give you strengthening exercises and other routines that will hasten the healing process. Follow the advice strictly. Depending on your situation, you may be doing the exercises for the rest of your life.

3. Get rest and let it heal completely. If an activity hurts, stop doing it.

Take care of yourself.

Liota

Rita,

Liota's advise is by far the most sound that has been posted. See your Doctor.

FWIW

dj

+1 on Liot's adivse , she said it much better than I did, My pain started like you described, and after four years I still am not back to normal, becuse I tryed to 'work it out'. the real good Dr.s will not recomend the knife,

Actually, my doc did suggest the knife. It was necessary in my case due to the bone spurs and other issues. Much like AlamoShooter, I dinked around with mine for five years in pain.

If Rika has only soft tissue irritation with no tears or what-have-you, she can do physical therapy and rest for healing. It will take a looooonnnng time.

Oi!!! Geeesh, wow, I casually asked and got serious answers and NOW I decided to take it serious. I'm pretty sure its tendenitis because it aggrevate when I type, but I sure will make appointment with my doc. You guys might have saved my shoulder! Thanks bunches.

Rika,

I hope that the Ladies Camp went well. They always sound like fun, and I am wondering if there is one for old farts (I start competing Senior category in April).

I too have had shoulder problems, and ID'd it as tendonitis or maybe rotator cuff. The doc said that mine was not rotator cuff or tendenitis, even though it felt like tendonitis did near other joints. At physical therapy, they said that the difficulty I had would be solved by strengthening the small muscles that hold the shoulder together. They put me on heat, ultrasound, and (I forget the name) electrical stimulation of the shoulder muscles, then an exercise and stretching program. It was designed as are my exercises for my feet on working the the small but essential muscles that hold things in shape, and it worked. For folks in SE Michigan, U of M Medsport is just great.

The moral is (as you have indicated) get it diagnosed and treated, because there are several things that can feel similar in the shoulder.

Billski

Thanks everybody. With your prompt, I actually saw my doc today. it's both tendenitus and rotator cuffs conbined. Rest and ibprofen. for now.

Once pain is gone, I will see physical threapist for workout. I got kind big tricep and bicep but apparantly, not those small muscles.!!

Again, very much appreciated you guys saved my shoulder and shooting career. Its good since its rainy and cold here. Nice to take "off" from shooting anyways...

I will humbly add to the good advice above that I've successfully combined Chinese medicine w/ western medicine for these types of things. Specifically, acupuncture has helped my elbows a bunch...... :)

Thanks everybody. With your prompt, I actually saw my doc today. it's both tendenitus and rotator cuffs conbined. Rest and ibprofen. for now.

Once pain is gone, I will see physical threapist for workout. I got kind big tricep and bicep but apparantly, not those small muscles.!!

Again, very much appreciated you guys saved my shoulder and shooting career. Its good since its rainy and cold here. Nice to take "off" from shooting anyways...

Rika,

Stay the course and get plenty of rest for that shoulder. It will mean a few months with NO shooting and that's hard, but to have full and pain-free use of your shoulders is more than worth the cost. I am hoping after this year of consistent physical therapy exercises and rest, that will be the case for me.

Those Therabands are your best friend. Keep them close. :)

Take care,

Liota

Edited by Liota