Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ELEY Ammunition Pick up at CO Nats

cheby

4 hours ago, cheby said:

Thinking of getting some. Has anybody had any experience with this ammo? Accuracy? PF out of Shadow 2 or  X5? How hard are the primers? Any light strikes?

https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/

I use their 38 SC ammo and recently tried their ShellShok 9mm 124 grain loads. They were reliable in my CZ Shadow 2 and came in at an average 136 pf. 

For the CO Nationals I’m going with another company. 9mm 124 grain minor loads. 

I tried the Eley Minor 9mm 124 grain competition ammo in my Accushadow 2 but it didn't pass the plunk test (barely).  It would make the plunk sound when I dropped it into the chamber but would not fall freely when I inverted the barrel.  The bullet was just barely touching the rifling.  I shot the 100 rounds I purchased with no issues but didn't buy anymore.  I'm now using Precision One 9mm 124 grain competition ammo ( 9mm 124gr FMJ (REMANUFACTURED) COMPETITION - Precision ONe Ammunition ).  It plunks and freely falls when the barrel is inverted.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 9:48 PM, HI5-O said:

I use their 38 SC ammo and recently tried their ShellShok 9mm 124 grain loads. They were reliable in my CZ Shadow 2 and came in at an average 136 pf. 

For the CO Nationals I’m going with another company. 9mm 124 grain minor loads. 

I should’ve gotten Eley ammunition, the other brand I got was a disaster. 

On 6/8/2023 at 1:49 PM, PA_USPSA said:

I tried the Eley Minor 9mm 124 grain competition ammo in my Accushadow 2 but it didn't pass the plunk test (barely).  It would make the plunk sound when I dropped it into the chamber but would not fall freely when I inverted the barrel.  The bullet was just barely touching the rifling.  I shot the 100 rounds I purchased with no issues but didn't buy anymore.  I'm now using Precision One 9mm 124 grain competition ammo ( 9mm 124gr FMJ (REMANUFACTURED) COMPETITION - Precision ONe Ammunition ).  It plunks and freely falls when the barrel is inverted.

This isn’t an ammo issue it’s a known shadow 2 issue with a short throat. 

2 hours ago, PA_USPSA said:

What brand did you get that was a disaster?

I had many failures to fire and most fired on a second trigger pull and a few never fired. 42 out of 1,000 failed the case gauge. There were no indications of high primers tho so it may be the primers they are using. PM sent. And they do have nice stickers. 

Edited by HI5-O
Add info

1 hour ago, HI5-O said:

I had many failures to fire and most fired on a second trigger pull and a few never fired. 42 out of 1,000 failed the case gauge. There were no indications of high primers tho so it may be the primers they are using. PM sent. And they do have nice stickers. 

No reason to keep it a secret. I’m sure the company would also like to know…