Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open minor PF 9mm loads

Joe4d

Putting an Open minor Springfield XDM together, mostly for the heck of it, steel challange, USPSA maybe.
Will be using a smaller comp advertised for minor loads from Springer.
I have heard about coated issues  with major PF comps, anyone had issues with them at minor ? Wouldnt hurt my feelings if bullets were round nose and would be easy loading in a 929.. So looking for bullet and powder recommendations. Probably go with a mid rate powder I have on hand like BE 86, I have some HS6 but guessing at minor it would be fairly dirty. 

Been there done that.  When you are sick of trying to make your minor gun shoot as flat as you major gun, just go to 124s and something like N320, Sport Pistol or e3.  For steel challenge the gun returns to zero way before you finish your transition.  Low noise.  Low drama.  Low muzzle rise.  Way effective.

I've recently gone a step farther and shoot soft factory out of my minor Open gun.  Yes, a tad more nuzzle rise, but no diff otherwise.

16 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I have heard about coated issues  with major PF comps, anyone had issues with them at minor ?

Yes coated do causes more issues with comp getting leaded up at minor. But, it does depend on the manufacturer.

Here's what we use:

https://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/9mm-124gr-rn-plated-bullets-v2.html

These work great and the thick plating shoot really clean at both minor and major. Powder depends on PF. For minor any of the normal powders are fine. For 9 Major I use WAC, not as much gas but doesn't overfill the case and drops accurately. It should also work for minor and might help give some extra gas for the comp over the faster powders.