Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder spill on rl1100

I don't have an RL1100 but the shellplate is certainly not supposed to be so jumpy that it spills powder from a rifle case - unless the case is absolutely full to the brim. Now, you might have powder inside the mechanism, which is not good.

Some adjustment could be off. How does the primer mechanism interact with the press? On a different press, adjustments on the primer system used to cause me jumpy indexing.

In my experience, the anti spill thingies that look like a nylon brush work smoothest and cause less drag.

That said, if your shell plate is adjusted correctly and your indexing mechanism is working as it should, there's little need for these "solutions", especially loading bottle neck rifle rounds, or loading 9 major rounds where the case is full 

23 hours ago, m0r3ric3plz said:

can anyone help me i cant seem to fix the issue on my rl1100. reloading 223 and the indexing on my shell plate keeps spilling powder.

When I owned/used the RL1100 for pistol, I had also tried several of the aftermarket "stabilizers" to keep the cases stable during rotation.  What worked for me was the "zip tie" method; along with a smooth, consistent operation of the press handle itself.

Zip Ties.png

Cable Ties.png

Another idea.... I occasionally encounter (pistol or revolver) cases that stick to the powder die, so the upstroke takes a lot of force. Then the indexing will be --- energetic --- when the case lets go of the die.

Is the jumpy indexing happening every time, or sometimes? If only sometimes, do you feel or hear something different?