Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 750 powder funnel 9mm recs

Currently using a uniqutek 9mm powder funnel. Bought it as the normal dillon funnel was not the most consistent with belling the case and I would get erratic COAL especially with coated bullets. 

Uniqutek does allow for more consistent coal, but the case mouth expansion has been very inconsistent, especially with the mixed brass I have been using. Every 6th brass is underbelled to the point where coated bullets cannot be realistically inserted without shaving it and plated bullets take considerable effort to push in. 

I have been looking at mighty armory powder funnel for a solution. Any inputs on them? 

6 hours ago, datderecelltech said:

Currently using a uniqutek 9mm powder funnel. Bought it as the normal dillon funnel was not the most consistent with belling the case and I would get erratic COAL especially with coated bullets. 

Uniqutek does allow for more consistent coal, but the case mouth expansion has been very inconsistent, especially with the mixed brass I have been using. Every 6th brass is underbelled to the point where coated bullets cannot be realistically inserted without shaving it and plated bullets take considerable effort to push in. 

I have been looking at mighty armory powder funnel for a solution. Any inputs on them? 

What diameter coated bullets are you using?  Sounds like you may not have the correct size powder funnel.......

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1736

🤔

26 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

What diameter coated bullets are you using?  Sounds like you may not have the correct size powder funnel.......

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1736

🤔

I use the .357 size one indicated by their website as being the correct one to use for bullets sized .356. 

The issue is that the funnel depth adjustment is very fincky also. With the variance in brass, if I try to adjust the funnel to go deeper to accomodate the underbelled cases, the previously fine cases would be way overbelled or even burst. This is even with minor adjustments. 

1 hour ago, datderecelltech said:

I use the .357 size one indicated by their website as being the correct one to use for bullets sized .356. 

The issue is that the funnel depth adjustment is very fincky also. With the variance in brass, if I try to adjust the funnel to go deeper to accomodate the underbelled cases, the previously fine cases would be way overbelled or even burst. This is even with minor adjustments. 

Well...........let's see.........

Not knowing your experience level, I would first try to sort out a 100 or so SAME HEADSTAMP brass and do some testing.

Is your shell plate adjusted correctly?  Not too loose?

Do you lube your brass prior to loading?

When finalizing the powder drop adjustment, do you lower the handle/raise the ram with a case in the shell plate before final tightening of the powder measure?

What seating die are you using?  Correct insert for your bullet profile?

Separate crimp die?

Hope this helps!

:)

9 hours ago, datderecelltech said:

I have both the MBF and the Alpha Dropper and I prefer the MBF funnel for 9mm. I recommend polishing the part which goes into the brass for smoothness . If you don't have a wheel use 800 - 1500 grit wet and dry to polish.

Now for the question of belling. Have you checked the brass lengths after sizing? Yes there are differences in case lengths, even with the same head stamps. Additionally the press has some minor variances and the powder funnel must be set at the height where the powder drop just reaches max using the longest brass you have. 

Because of the different brass lengths you will see a difference in belling. Just make the shortest ones with only enough belling to not scrape the coating.

As has been written many times here on Enos, You MUST adjust the belling, bullet seating and crimping with a full shell plate. If you are just sending one piece around it will be off.

As far as COAL differences goes; a small difference doesn't matter and will be hard to completely eliminate. If your OAL is so close where rounds get stuck in the rifling it is too long. Shorten them up.

One way to eliminate this and similar problems is to sort for similar headstamps.

Then when you do a run adjust dies and flaring as necessary for that particular headstamp.

For some that is OCD. For me it is just the way I've always done it.

At this point all my practice brass is basically Blazer,WIN,RP,FC,GLM,S&B,CBC and maybe a few others.

Some people find some of that list problematic.

However when dies are set appropriately then even the headstamps people complain about such as CBC and S&B are easily reloaded.

9 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Well...........let's see.........

Not knowing your experience level, I would first try to sort out a 100 or so SAME HEADSTAMP brass and do some testing. I will try this. It will be a pain tho. 

Is your shell plate adjusted correctly?  Not too loose? Absolutely yes. 

Do you lube your brass prior to loading? Yep! 

When finalizing the powder drop adjustment, do you lower the handle/raise the ram with a case in the shell plate before final tightening of the powder measure? Yes I did. 

What seating die are you using?  Correct insert for your bullet profile? dillon seating die with flat nose profile

Separate crimp die? yep! 

Hope this helps!

:)

Will try how it is with sorting by headstamps. If that is the solution it will be a frustrating one... 

12 minutes ago, ddc said:

One way to eliminate this and similar problems is to sort for similar headstamps.

Then when you do a run adjust dies and flaring as necessary for that particular headstamp.

For some that is OCD. For me it is just the way I've always done it.

At this point all my practice brass is basically Blazer,WIN,RP,FC,GLM,S&B,CBC and maybe a few others.

Some people find some of that list problematic.

However when dies are set appropriately then even the headstamps people complain about such as CBC and S&B are easily reloaded.

CBC, occasionally s&b and couple other brands have given me problems more than the rest. 

8 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I have both the MBF and the Alpha Dropper and I prefer the MBF funnel for 9mm. I recommend polishing the part which goes into the brass for smoothness . If you don't have a wheel use 800 - 1500 grit wet and dry to polish.

Now for the question of belling. Have you checked the brass lengths after sizing? Yes there are differences in case lengths, even with the same head stamps. Additionally the press has some minor variances and the powder funnel must be set at the height where the powder drop just reaches max using the longest brass you have. 

Because of the different brass lengths you will see a difference in belling. Just make the shortest ones with only enough belling to not scrape the coating.

As has been written many times here on Enos, You MUST adjust the belling, bullet seating and crimping with a full shell plate. If you are just sending one piece around it will be off.

As far as COAL differences goes; a small difference doesn't matter and will be hard to completely eliminate. If your OAL is so close where rounds get stuck in the rifling it is too long. Shorten them up.

I did not check the brass length for sizing. The challenging part is there seems to be an extremely narrow window of adjustment and anything too much will just crack some of the brass. But I will try measuring length. 

None of my rounds ever got stuck in the rifling in my glocks at least so that is good. I do not think I adjusted belling with a full shell plate, only with a brass in the funnel. 

22 minutes ago, datderecelltech said:

CBC, occasionally s&b and couple other brands have given me problems more than the rest. 

I am not surprised. Those two typically are mentioned as being problematic.

If I were not sorting for the particular headstamps I liked I would probably be at least sorting out the ones that caused problems and CBC/S&B might be on that list.

However, as I indicated, in my experience they can be worked with if you are willing to take the time sorting them and setting up as necessary.

There's all sorts of ways to skin the cat.

Some sort for the headstamps they like.

Some sort for the ones they've had trouble with and toss 'em.

Some try to make them all work and are successful.

Some try to make them all work and are not.

Edited by ddc

For polymer coated bullets, we recommend adjusting the powder die down until the case mouths are flared .015-.020' larger than the sized, unflared case mouth measures. The powder bar will go full travel before the handle bottoms out. Don't worry about that. The case needs to be forced far enough onto the powder funnel for the case to reach the flaring shoulder.