Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best “Universal Holster”

ntxboi

I’m getting myself all kitted out to shoot. What is the best “Universal Holster” to go with these days? I am shooting a Walther PDP and will likely end up shooting limited optic’s because I like magwells and my vision isn’t what it used to be. I have a Black Scorpion holster to hold me over, but definitely want something else to run with.

7 hours ago, ntxboi said:

I’m getting myself all kitted out to shoot. What is the best “Universal Holster” to go with these days? I am shooting a Walther PDP and will likely end up shooting limited optic’s because I like magwells and my vision isn’t what it used to be. I have a Black Scorpion holster to hold me over, but definitely want something else to run with.

what do you mean by “universal”?

Are you looking for a holster that is legal across multiple Divisions?  Or one that will work for multiple different guns?

The CompTac Q Series and Safariland make holsters that fit multiple guns, but, IMO, you will be much better off getting a holster that was made specifically for your gun. 

Edited by Cuz

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

what do you mean by “universal”?

Are you looking for a holster that is legal across multiple Divisions?  Or one that will work for multiple different guns?

I don’t care about multiple divisions. I want a race style holster that will work for my gun, which not many people make specific holsters for. So something like a Guga Ribas that can be adjusted to fit my gun. Thanks.

1 hour ago, ntxboi said:

I don’t care about multiple divisions. I want a race style holster that will work for my gun, which not many people make specific holsters for. So something like a Guga Ribas that can be adjusted to fit my gun. Thanks.

Lol, ok, so you don’t really want a “universal holster”, you just want one for the Walther PDP.  Why do you want a race style holster?  That takes you out of the Carry Optics and Production Divisions where that gun belongs. 

I’d be looking at BladeTech, CompTac, Red Hill Tactical, etc. something in a nice solid kydex holster. But that’s probably because I’ve never felt very comfortable with the fancy open gun rigs. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Why do you want a race style holster?  That takes you out of the Carry Optics and Production Divisions where that gun belongs. 

Just a guess - Add a magwell, maybe a thumb rest if there's an option slap it in a race holster and you're shooting LO.

45 minutes ago, clw42 said:

Just a guess - Add a magwell, maybe a thumb rest if there's an option slap it in a race holster and you're shooting LO.

I don’t want to shoot production or carry optics. Before I was injured I shot limited then open. I am comfortable shooting in those categories, but I can’t afford a new open gun right now and my vision sucks, so I want to shoot something I am comfortable with. 

15 hours ago, ntxboi said:

I don’t want to shoot production or carry optics. Before I was injured I shot limited then open. I am comfortable shooting in those categories, but I can’t afford a new open gun right now and my vision sucks, so I want to shoot something I am comfortable with. 

I wasn't judging, I was proving my deductive abilities.  I'm all for it, smart move in my opinion.

On 3/10/2023 at 2:54 AM, Blackstone45 said:

You've already mentioned the Guga Ribas.

Double Alpha Academy also recently released their new Flex holster, which can be adjusted to fit most guns.

Have a look at the DAA Alpha X holster range, you can swap out the insert for other guns that you can buy separately rather than the whole holster if you ever have that requirement.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/alpha-x-holsters

Edited by terrydoc

I’m a fan of the alpha x. The initial purchase kind of sucks being about $250 all said and done with holster and insert but the inserts themselves are around $50ish. Simple to swap and fit to your gun as long as they make the insert. They are on here used from time to time. That’s how I got mine.