Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Hunter vs IFG Gold Match

FredCheckers

I have the option to buy a factory new EAA Witness Hunter in 10mm or a current model IFG imported Gold Match. The hunter is of unknown manufacture year (online sale) and costs about 150 less, all said and done. It has the grips with full checkering. The Gold Match is matt black finish with the current style wood grips and the current slide cuts. Is there any real advantage to the current import longslide guns over the eaa ones? Or vice versa? 

In my personal experience. I would choose the factory old EAA as oppose to the new. More newer barrels tend to have short or no leade throat and requires additional reaming and this includes 9mm, 45 cal. , 40s&w and 10mm. 

Now the slide cuts are all about personal preference. Choose your taste. 

You can check the year by using the serial number. I'm sure someone here knows the Eaa link. 

Edited by Yagi
Clarification

1 hour ago, FredCheckers said:

new EAA Witness Hunter in 10mm or a current model IFG imported Gold Match

Are they both 10mm?

If not I would pick the non-10mm because of the ease in getting 40 or 9 ammo. The barrel throat on the 40 does not have a short OAL issue like the 9s. From personal experience you can load out to the max length limited by the magazine, both my 40s are EAA, and I have two later IFG 9s, they needed throating. 

If both guns are 10mm buy the one which you like best.

On 2/25/2023 at 2:25 PM, FredCheckers said:

Dang. Is that an issue with factory ammo? 

My reloads with round nose and hollow point bullets have very little shank exposed, but my Hunter is over 10 years old - I have no idea how it's throated.  It would probably only be an issue if you're using wadcutters.

Edited by Ronemus

I also had custom recoil springs made - the heaviest that would fit in the available space; they reduced slide velocity and the brass goes 6-8' instead of 30' with the factory springs.  I also found some recoil buffers and they eliminate slide battering but need to be replaced regularly; I would prefer copper buffers, but haven't found any that fit.

13 hours ago, Ronemus said:

I also had custom recoil springs made - the heaviest that would fit in the available space; they reduced slide velocity and the brass goes 6-8' instead of 30' with the factory springs.  I also found some recoil buffers and they eliminate slide battering but need to be replaced regularly; I would prefer copper buffers, but haven't found any that fit.

Cool. Who did you get the springs and buffers from?

FWIW I had malfunctions with Henning's buffer and also with heavier recoil springs. 18-20# Wolff recoil springs, with a heavy hammer spring, seem to be the sweet spot. 22# recoil spring made the slide speed outrun the mag lifting the next round.

• 2 weeks later...

Similar'ish topic... anyone know where to get a standard OWB holster for one of these? I just picked up the newer IFG pistol the other day. Holsters are non-existent. I knew this going in, but checking here before I go down the road of shipping my pistol to a custom holster maker. 

4 minutes ago, buetang said:

Similar'ish topic... anyone know where to get a standard OWB holster for one of these? I just picked up the newer IFG pistol the other day. Holsters are non-existent. I knew this going in, but checking here before I go down the road of shipping my pistol to a custom holster maker. 

Kydex or leather?

13 minutes ago, buetang said:

I'm fine with either. But prefer kydex. 

I have two leather holsters for my WH. One is a Simply Rugged; curiously they no longer list the WH as one of the guns on their list, but I bet if you contact Rob he'd still make one. I also have a steel lined leather Davis holster; Dave Cox is super to work with and the holster is a gem, but just make sure you specify it's a large frame Tanfo.

2 minutes ago, Bill Schwab said:

I have two leather holsters for my WH. One is a Simply Rugged; curiously they no longer list the WH as one of the guns on their list, but I bet if you contact Rob he'd still make one. I also have a steel lined leather Davis holster; Dave Cox is super to work with and the holster is a gem, but just make sure you specify it's a large frame Tanfo.

Awesome, thank you for the info. 

Much appreciated.