Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson 45 slide locking back while firing.

Have a Wilson 1911, 45 acp.  The slide will lock back with two rounds still in the magazine.  This happens now and again with no pattern. If I reload the magazine it will fire fine. Shooting 230 gr round nose bullets seated 1.230. Any thoughts as to where to start looking?

I would try testing the magazines with the slide off the frame but with the slide stop inserted into the frame.  I would load two rounds in the magazine and insert it into the frame to see if you can lift the slide stop when inserting the magazine.  I would repeat this with a different number of rounds to help identify a pattern.  This will help determine if your rounds are prematurely lifting the slide stop and hence locking your slide back.

Spring tension gets weaker with lower rounds, with 2 left the its getting dragged forward a hair and lifting stop.  May not notice it with the slide off and just 2 rounds. 
Thats a good place to start,, but try changing one thing at a time... Shorter ammo, new mag spring, check the slide stop for burrs,  Check the detent and spring.

Thanks for the replies.  I am right handed, shooting with my thumbs pointing forward aligned with the slide.  When I had the stoppage I noticed the round in the mag was about 1/8 inches forward in the mag.  The gun only has about 1k rounds through it and am using 10 magazines so they should really be just getting broken in. Took the slide off and with two rounds in the mag it would not hit the slide stop.  When I moved the round 1/8 inch forward it would just touch it.  Took a jeweler file and cleaned the stop edges a little.  Have a match tomorrow so will let you know how it goes. 

Shot the match today all magazines ran fine.  I tapped on the magazines so the bullets would move to the back prior to putting them on the belt. Hope that solves the problem.

On 2/17/2023 at 7:47 AM, 625 said:

Have a Wilson 1911, 45 acp.  The slide will lock back with two rounds still in the magazine.  This happens now and again with no pattern. If I reload the magazine it will fire fine. Shooting 230 gr round nose bullets seated 1.230. Any thoughts as to where to start looking?

Rounds are hitting the slide stop lobe as they travel up the mag. Remove the stop and look for brass marks on the part that protrudes in the magwell.

Noticed this particularly w 230 gr hardball. Trimming slide stop helps, as well as creating a small dimple for the spring loaded plunger/detent to engage.

Mark

Edited by mpom

On 2/18/2023 at 7:18 PM, Joe4d said:

your supposed to wack em on your head after loading the mags, although its less painful if you are wearing a helmet

I've definitely seen a boot conk themselves doing just that.  Figured they'd seen it on the television or internet.