Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee U die pin, not universal?

lroy

I missed a pebble in some brass and broke my decapping pin. I ordered a universal lee pin (90783), but its much thinner/longer than the u die pin.

Is there a specific item number I should have ordered instead or will this work fine?

Edited by lroy

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 4:12 AM, lroy said:

I missed a pebble in some brass and broke my decapping pin. I ordered a universal lee pin (90783), but its much thinner/longer than the u die pin.

Is there a specific item number I should have ordered instead or will this work fine?

I have noticed in the past that they have different part numbers but I don't have them handy.

It might work if the collet can tighten enough to hold it in place while decapping. 

I don't know if that is possible.

17 hours ago, ddc said:

I have noticed in the past that they have different part numbers but I don't have them handy.

It might work if the collet can tighten enough to hold it in place while decapping. 

I don't know if that is possible.

Tried it out and you're right. Just had to crank it down a bit more. It's much longer and more narrow than the one the UDie comes with so I wasn't sure. It sticks way out of the top, but there are no issues with function.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 7:22 AM, lroy said:

It sticks way out of the top, but there are no issues with function.

The Universal Decap die is, for some reason, much longer than the pistol sizing dies.

I also use Squirrel Daddy pins, and I also use their expanders for 223 and 300BO.  I like to size after a separate decap die, and I will use the expanders to round out a bent mouth instead of just a decap pin.  But the expanders are short, like the pins that come with the sizing dies.  So I take the decap die and cut it off, they buzz right off with a saw. 

If it's a pistol caliber U Die, the part you were looking for is 90027 (Decapping Rod for Handgun Dies), the Universal Decapping Pin is part number 90783.  As mentioned, Squirrel Daddy makes nice replacements but also FW Arms as well.