Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300 blackout - Magnum or Standard primers?

workingmanjeff

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 10:11 AM, willfully armed said:

There is no benefit to using magnum primers in 300blk. 

I use 450's due to the powder and bullet weights used.   As far as more speed there wasn't any/enough change.   @ primers used for comparing loads I've done are 400's and 450's.   If it works for me, then I go for it.

The answer is, it really won't change your accuracy... much.

In high power rifle the real difference will be found in changing brands of primers. There's lots of testing of this idea on YouTube and worth a watch. 

Here's a great video from a reloader testing the same brand of primers, CCI.

Basically Magnum are harder cups and if you are pushing the max pressures you need to test your loads when changing brands or types.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 3:39 PM, K-Tex said:

I use 450's due to the powder and bullet weights used.   As far as more speed there wasn't any/enough change.   @ primers used for comparing loads I've done are 400's and 450's.   If it works for me, then I go for it.

I've loaded about every offering for the BO, subs to supers, light to heavy... and for s#!ts and grins, standard and magnum primers. I've not seen a single instance of improvement over a standard primer, when a magnum was used. Thereby, I've not seen any need to use a component not intended for the caliber.