Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited G35 Mag Issues?

boo radley

boo radley; I had the very same problems this past weekend.

[....]

My tungsten guide had had deep grooves worn into it. I buffed them out with a flap wheel....

I'm not sure what you mean by a flap wheel -- I was thinking of sticking the rod in a cordless drill, spinning it slowly, and hitting it with 600gr wet/dry paper? Or maybe 400gr to start with?

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/u...ler/output_html

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pistol returned to stock, except for the sights.

300 rounds, of which 50 were weak-hand, and 50 strong-hand.

Zero problems, and the *only* mags I used were the high-caps with Dawson extensions. I loaded each to 20, too, until I ran out of bullets.

Good to hear. You can experiment by putting the aftermarket parts back in one at a time and them testing in order to isolate the problem. However, that process could take a lot of time and ammo. Personally, I'd add the trigger back in first (with stock springs) - because I think that's the most important mod to a Glock other than new sights.

Let us know what happens.

Good to hear. You can experiment by putting the aftermarket parts back in one at a time and them testing in order to isolate the problem. However, that process could take a lot of time and ammo. Personally, I'd add the trigger back in first (with stock springs) - because I think that's the most important mod to a Glock other than new sights.

Let us know what happens.

Cy -- I'll try adding the trigger parts back in; I don't think that area was responsible for anything but occasional light-primer strikes. I've since upgraded presses, and haven't noticed a single high primer with the new XL650. <shrug>

Here's a picture of the tungsten guide rod -- it's not much of a picture, but you can see the wear. There are a few rough patches, and I can imagine the flat, sharp-edged coils of an ISMI spring catching on 'em, and slightly binding. Do plain steel rods wear like this?

tungstenrod.jpg

I froze my G-35 yesterday with the ammo and had 3 missfeeds out of 20 rds. in the same mag. all miss feeds were high left additude, pulling the slide back would allow the rounds to feed. The erosion of the guide rod does brother me, however my left thum may be riding the slide some. I usually touch the slide lock with it. I will shoot with my thumbs high or just strong hand and try it. I also replaced my mag springs with 140mm IMSI springs, they are much stronger. My stainless rod also has groves worn into it. the spring vibrating I guess. This seems to be a problem with IMSI type springs, not wolff. more later

My old tungsten rod is a lot worse than yours. It has stopped wearing down though. I made a long steel rod out of D2 a few years ago. It has no wear marks at all.

The part that bothers me isn't the groove at the end, but the roughness before it, where the plating appears worn through....I hadn't known or thought about oiling or greasing the guide rod, and since the ISMI spring has coils that are pretty squared (thx, Eric, for correct term) I can see it catching just enough to drag the slide.

That's still my hypothesis, anyhow.

Tonight I chucked the guide rod in my cordless drill, put that in a vise, and used a strip of velcro to hold the trigger on. First I sanded it with 400grit paper, then 600grit. I didn't remove much, if anything, but it's certainly smooth now. I'll try shooting it this weekend.

All that said, I bought a used G22 upper, and that arrived recently. I stuck it on the frame of my other Glock, a G34, after taking some pliers and carefully bending the ejector straight (have replacement parts on order).

I've got to admit, even with the plastic stock guide rod, and factory (17-lb?) spring, and match PF ammo, and stock trigger, I shot some of my best Bill Drill splits ever, so who knows....I'm leaning very hard towards thinking guide-rod weight, and spring weight, and funky Glock trigger-jobs matter so much less than I thought they did, especially if there's ANY sacrifice in reliablity. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update my post on "prepping the mags" while loading them up for stages of fire:

Today I cracked the basepad of my STI's 170mm mag :(

It's a factory STI pad, apparently it's more brittle than Glock pads, Scherer pads, Arredondo pads, Caspian Hicap pads, and Taylor Freelance pads, all of which have taken the beating I put on them without breaking.

Probably shot it that way for one stage, caught it before another stage, no malfunctions. Traded the basepad from my stoker mag onto the 170 & kept on going.

Just to update my post on "prepping the mags" while loading them up for stages of fire:

Today I cracked the basepad of my STI's 170mm mag :(

It's a factory STI pad, apparently it's more brittle than Glock pads, Scherer pads, Arredondo pads, Caspian Hicap pads, and Taylor Freelance pads, all of which have taken the beating I put on them without breaking.

Probably shot it that way for one stage, caught it before another stage, no malfunctions. Traded the basepad from my stoker mag onto the 170 & kept on going.

Hey Eric,

Congratulations on today's overall win and on winning 3 stages. You da man! ;)

Leo