Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullets - which to buy?

Ontarget

I've become a big fan of Blue Bullets this year.

They always ship fast and I love the packaging. Sturdy and always shows up safe.

I've been ordering 3k of the 147gr FP at a time. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to give Blue a try again.

They were my go-to for a long time, but then I went on a price safari and tried a bunch of others.  Blue were always consistent for me so I think I'll stay for a while.

3 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

For 9mm bullets is hard to beat RMR Match Winner bullets. They're only about $0.10 each.

Yep, I've been shooting the 135gr and really like them.  They feed fine in my Glock 34/5 and Sig 320X5 and the accuracy is hard to beat.

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I think casting is a hobby unto itself,, there's a forum for it..
And a sub hobby of that is scrounging free lead , there is a reason the old manuals all list "linotype" bullets,,  that was surplus form all the town printing presses. After that it was wheel weights, now that isnt given away as often..
I looked into casting and found that unless you have a free source of lead it doesnt make alot of sense.

I started casting in the early 80s and even then linotype was getting hard to find. All of my casting has been done with wheelweight lead. Back when I started we didn't have the aftermarket supply of bullets from different manufacturers that we do now, it was mostly jacketed and swaged lead bullets. The jacketed bullets weren't cheap and the swaged lead bullets were made with pretty soft lead and would lead the crap out of your barrel if you loaded them over 1000 fps. I pretty much stopped casting and put all my casting stuff away when decent cast bullets started showing up on the market, and I haven't looked back. I hated casting bullets, it was tedious, hot and dirty work, but I had to do it If I wanted to shoot USPSA, my cop's wages didn't support buying jacketed bullets to reload. I still have about 250# of wheelweight lead cleaned and cast into ingots stashed away in case of 'hard times'.

I've used bullets from different manufacturers through the years and have pretty much settled with Blue Bullets for all my reloading now.

Edited by 392heminut

wow. 

I happen to enjoy casting metal...

I will point out that I did state the savings look small.

Since no one here makes primers, it follows that  not being

interested in fun chemistry or saving coin is common enough.

Most here will do some shopping around to get a low low price.

It does follow that cost savings are a possible consideration in obtaining lead bullets.

as options go, the only reason I think a reloader may want to

consider casting is to make sure they have access to all the supplies.

in order of hardest to make to easiest?

case

primer

powder

bullets.

I was pointing out that there is one more way to get what

you need to practice for target shooting sports.

miranda