Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Bowling Pin Match

Shooter Grrl

When I was done shooting, the match official looked at my husband and said

"Is she just learning to shoot?"

How long ago was this you ask... this weekend!!!!

I have a TON of really good excuses, but have decided to just suck it up and take it like the GRRL I am :blink:

• 11 months later...

Take it from me, I have been shooting pins for 8 or 9 years and it NEVER gets easy. lol You are aiming at a point on the pin that is about an inch and a half wide and two inches tall. It humbles the best of shooters from all I have seen in those years. Heck I have seen guys that have been shooting all of their lives try pins and fall flat on their faces but if you ask me it is all about having fun. As long as you enjoy it, keep going and have a great time. :)

Joe W.

Heh-heh! Here's a picture of me at my first bowling pin match (actually, my first formal competitive shooting experience of any kind) in Goffstown, NH about 20 years ago.

You can see the club had run out of bowling pins...... :)

post-4033-1164586197.jpg

Joe, I have fond memories of the big pin matches you guys used to run back around 10-15 years ago. People came in from all over the midwest, we always had a ton of fun. Then they just died away, along with Texarkana, Garden City, Second Chance, and the list sadly goes on.

Any chance you could get the Midwest Pinblasters matches going again? You guys got the stuff, the range, the knowledge, and now with the internet so universal, a ready means of advertising. I'll bet a big match every year would be very well attended and potentially a good money-maker for your club. I know for a fact I could round up a bunch of Iowa shooters (many of whom are alumni of these matches). I'll bet a bunch of the Pennsylvania guys would even fly out if you did it right.

What do you say??

Edited by Carmoney

Carmoney, the big pin shoots pretty much ended after the last one we had. The club had a group of college students lined up to do the pin setting for the whole match but they bailed the morning of the match (if I remember correctly) and after that it just became a huge headache to get everything lined up. I will be sure to let Randy know there is interest in a big match.

Right now we are moving into our .22 pistol and .22 rifle season so who knows, might run center fire and rimfire if we can get a match together. That reminds me, I need to build another trigger group for my Ruger 10/22, gotta stop selling the trigger groups out of MY rifle and just sell the ones I worked over for others. lol

Joe W.