Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crack on slide under Extractor

zombywoof

I noticed this when cleaning the other day. A crack has formed under the extractor. This slide has around 15,000 rounds through it.

Any experience with this problem? Any idea how much longer it will take to completely break off?

If it does break off will it still run? Is it possible the crack extends to the outside of the slide?

Thanks

Crack.jpg

That piece always breaks off on the SVI removable breechface, so I just save time and remove it with a Dremel cut-off wheel.  You can do the same, then carefully round the edges to prevent stress risers at the sharp edges.

The only hazard is the piece finally breaking off and jamming up the extractor or falling into the magazine and causing a failure to feed.  Most of the time it probably just flies out the ejection port.  I've never found one of the broken pieces IN my gun and I've broken 4 or 5 of them.

Nolan

• 3 months later...

So I have something similar and wondered what did you end up doing? As I am wondering what to do with mine.

Im thinking to either sand it (not sure what that would do except hide it from my sight maybe so I dont think about it), or leave it alone but the crack could continue on? If it does break off, doesn't that cause the extractor to bend downwards then might affect extraction of empty cases?

Also noticed that I may have some sharp edges forming (where arrow is) Im thinking to sand paper that but not sure if that would do any good. I dont even know why it has formed those sharp edges in the first place.

image.thumb.jpeg.1de2917aa0a16b6b5a02149cd2fcf93e.jpeg