Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder check options.

DirtyB

A squib ruined my match a couple weeks ago.  I try to be careful and watch but occasionally one gets by for some reason(not a fault of the powder drop, pull a bad casing or perhaps one where the primer didn't seat, now I get out of order and a casing gets by the drop and a bullet gets seated without powder).  

I've added a LED light setup from Inline Fabrication to the press, but am considering adding a powder check/alarm as well. 

Does anyone have an opinion or experience with DAA's magnetic check?  It will fit my Hornady LNL press....

https://benstoegerproshop.com/daa-reloading-magnetic-powder-check-2-0-by-double-alpha/

Other recommendations are welcome too.  TY in advance. 

I have the Hornady Powder Cop die, it works well but you lose a spot in your press. I haven't ever had a squib while using it, when the shell plate comes up I've trained myself to only watch the that die and nothing else.

If you have a fault on a progressive press and don’t remove all cases for evaluation… you’re just asking for trouble. 

Never used a powder check. Lose of a station and the necessity to use a silly crimo/seat combo die is a non-started for me. 

Fix YOU and your process. Clear the press entirely when there’s a malfunction. 

10 hours ago, bravofox said:

I have the Hornady Powder Cop die, it works well but you lose a spot in your press. I haven't ever had a squib while using it, when the shell plate comes up I've trained myself to only watch the that die and nothing else.

I do the same. I don’t load big batches.  Maybe 2-300 at a time. I only just started loading and I’m yet to have a squib..  I have a routine to do every time I pull the Handle down.   I look at the powder check, I sweep all the cases with eyes.  Then on the down stroke(priming) I look over everything again. I’ve only shot maybe 1000-1500 of my own rounds so far, I have around 1500 match/practice ammo loaded also but so far so good.  

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 11:51 PM, Dirty_J said:

If you have a fault on a progressive press and don’t remove all cases for evaluation… you’re just asking for trouble. 

Never used a powder check. Lose of a station and the necessity to use a silly crimo/seat combo die is a non-started for me. 

Fix YOU and your process. Clear the press entirely when there’s a malfunction. 

Why is a combo seat/crimp die silly? 

2 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Why is a combo seat/crimp die silly? 

Because most folks don’t set it up properly and it causes more hassles than it’s worth. 

Instead of a 1/1,000,000 chance of a squib… they end up with a 99.9% chance of leading the barrel and poor accuracy. 

16 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

Because most folks don’t set it up properly and it causes more hassles than it’s worth. 

Instead of a 1/1,000,000 chance of a squib… they end up with a 99.9% chance of leading the barrel and poor accuracy. 

So silly people, not silly dies...lol.

1 hour ago, 4n2t0 said:

So silly people, not silly dies...lol.

I defer to the late, great George Carlin on this one. 

“"THINK ABOUT HOW STUPID THE AVERAGE PERSON IS AND THEN REALIZE THAT HALF OF THEM ARE STUPIDER THAN THAT."

The same folks that end up with squibs due to carelessness are the same folks that end up with mis-adjusted combo dies. You’re trading one problem for another… 

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up setting up a camera system so I can watch the bullet drop slot. I can see the powder prior to pulling. I now just watch the screen. Powder I glance up at when primers get added and bullets and cases are on screen. There isnt a dillon press that allows you to have both bulletfeeder and a powder check without a combo die

The best powder checker is your eyes~ Mechanical and digital devices can fail, but your eyes if you have good eyesight that can save you a bunch of headaches.  What leads to charge or overcharged loads is usually carelessness on the reloader's part.  If you are meticulous, don't rush, and take your time, most issues are avoided~ 

On 3/24/2023 at 4:17 AM, joesmithchitown said:

The best powder checker is your eyes~ Mechanical and digital devices can fail, but your eyes if you have good eyesight that can save you a bunch of headaches.  What leads to charge or overcharged loads is usually carelessness on the reloader's part.  If you are meticulous, don't rush, and take your time, most issues are avoided~ 

Unfortunately people fail too, the internet is riddled with proof. I use a Dillon powder check and wouldn't load without a device like it on a progressive. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with having a mechanical/digital device help back up ones senses (if your setup allows for one).

Edited by 4n2t0