Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Category question a newer shooter asked me.

rowdyb

6 hours ago, RJH said:

. And I'm pretty sure Lina want some three gun nation event or something like that against the men.

Not that I'm aware of, but when she was competing regularly she would typically mop the floor with the other women then post to social media that she "won" the latest biggest bestest major match. 

I'm with @Johnny_Chimpo on everything here. You want equality, here it is. No breaks or concessions made. Not sure why it matters in the context of USPSA classifiers though, seeing as how they are typically the least physically demanding part of the sport.

6 hours ago, rowdyb said:

There are a few women's only things in motorcycle and car racing but they are not popular. Or well funded.

Is there a single Olympic event not delineated as "mixed" where men and women compete head to head? Or even high school athletics? 

And in a thing where there are only 35k members in the whole US and only 350 of them go to national level events does it matter?

All the Olympic Equestrian events compete heads up and team competition can  have any mix of genders. I dont follow the other sports  But endurance events have more women, more women that finish, yet more men top 10

17 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Not that I'm aware of, but when she was competing regularly she would typically mop the floor with the other women then post to social media that she "won" the latest biggest bestest major match. 

I'm with @Johnny_Chimpo on everything here. You want equality, here it is. No breaks or concessions made. Not sure why it matters in the context of USPSA classifiers though, seeing as how they are typically the least physically demanding part of the sport.

Found it. It wasn't three gun, it was the 2021 Florida open, PCC division.  She won that, no "" needed. Max L wasn't there , but still pretty impressive 

Ask him if there are differentiating female standards for SWAT?  As I've seen there is a single standard, and you are measured against your ability to perform.  If this sport is still about PRACTICAL shooting, then practical firearms skills and the ability to run a gun under practical circumstances are blind to gender, race, age etc. Get in and compete, or don't.  Acknowledging a category at major matches can make sense to separate awards, but it makes no sense for classifications.  The standard is the standard and you fall where you fall.  While skills, agility, etc can degrade over time and sorry to perform may change, changing the standard for classification doesn't make sense, unless we get rid of the ability to "zero" scores and everything counts for classification which would give a more comprehensive look at individual skills over the life of the competitor.  But that comes with its own problems as well.