Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to get ONES FIRED brass

Murzikrv

I prefer crimped brass so there is no question it's OFB. I pick up lots of OFB at the range and they typically leave the boxes as well. No guarantee it's OFB, however.

No fool proof way for brass bought from vendors that I ever heard of.

There's not really a good way to make sure it is once fired.. but I like to go to the DNR-run public range near me every once in a while to scoop up brass. A lot of the shooters there do not reload and are more interested in mag-dumping into trash, so I can get a little practice in and then get a bunch of free brass.

Indoor gun ranges. It depends on the range, but many do not allow the use of outside ammo these days- have to buy theirs. Unless they are selling reman ammo- all of that brass should be once fired. Added benefit of brass without dirt in it. 

Call around to some local indoor ranges and see what their ammo policies are. Find out what they do with their brass- and see if you can get your hands on some. 

Gotta say though, if you're that concerned with the status of your brass, buy new brass and keep track of how many times it's been fired like a bench-rest shooter would. I have to imagine that's the only way to know 100%

On 11/5/2022 at 4:28 PM, PhotoRecon said:

I prefer crimped brass so there is no question it's OFB. I pick up lots of OFB at the range and they typically leave the boxes as well. No guarantee it's OFB, however.

so how do you process the crimped brass?  if i have any tension when trying to insert a primer i just toss that case.

22 minutes ago, davsco said:
On 11/5/2022 at 3:28 PM, PhotoRecon said:

so how do you process the crimped brass?  if i have any tension when trying to insert a primer i just toss that case.

A little gorilla strength (uggas, if you will) will de-prime any case 👿

On 11/5/2022 at 8:39 AM, Murzikrv said:

See a lot for sale, but how to really make sure it is.

Not sure why you need once fired 9mm brass, but if you live near an indoor range go there and make a deal to buy it from them. Ranges collect the brass and normally sell it for recycling. At least those near me do. 

For the most part 9mm brass can be reloaded many times, especially with minor power factor. But, if your pushing it to major then it gets stressed a bit more.