Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classic Strong hand reload

Makicjf

After the IRC, I'm seriously considering shooting Classic/USPSA 6 major ( with speed loaders) .

I've got an old half lug GP 100 slicked up and smoothed out, my major load figured.  I've got yellow brass for major, nickel brass for steel challenge, and a bunch of trimmed to .898 38 "Mid-Colt" brass trimmed for ICORE regionals and the 2023 IRC.

What I don't have is a dialed strong hand reload system; more specifically strong hand reload ejection system.  My strong hand moon clip reload was patterned after watching Jerry's videos, with the only difference being I eject with my weak hand index finger.  

That has worked well enough, so I'd like minimal change in my manual of arms for speed loaders .

I have watched and re-watched the video of Jerry shooting the 2021 IRC, trying to lock down his ejection. I can't tell if he is opening the cylinder, wacking the ejector with his weak hand, then grasping the cylinder, or simply hitting the ejector with his thumb on his way down.  This would work with trimmed brass, but I'm wondering if major in 38 special would always clear .

I'm open to suggestions.  Do you strong hand speed loader loaders NOT wack the ejector?

Thanks!

Jason

1 hour ago, Makicjf said:

After the IRC, I'm seriously considering shooting Classic/USPSA 6 major ( with speed loaders) .

I've got an old half lug GP 100 slicked up and smoothed out, my major load figured.  I've got yellow brass for major, nickel brass for steel challenge, and a bunch of trimmed to .898 38 "Mid-Colt" brass trimmed for ICORE regionals and the 2023 IRC.

What I don't have is a dialed strong hand reload system; more specifically strong hand reload ejection system.  My strong hand moon clip reload was patterned after watching Jerry's videos, with the only difference being I eject with my weak hand index finger.  

That has worked well enough, so I'd like minimal change in my manual of arms for speed loaders .

I have watched and re-watched the video of Jerry shooting the 2021 IRC, trying to lock down his ejection. I can't tell if he is opening the cylinder, wacking the ejector with his weak hand, then grasping the cylinder, or simply hitting the ejector with his thumb on his way down.  This would work with trimmed brass, but I'm wondering if major in 38 special would always clear .

I'm open to suggestions.  Do you strong hand speed loader loaders NOT wack the ejector?

Thanks!

Jason

I’ll send you videos of me reloading. How big are your hands? Mine are too small to reach through the frame without slow down.

The problem isn’t the brass ejecting. It’s any unshot rounds. If you’re going fast enough and don’t rotate enough they’ll go right back in the gun.

I also wouldn’t model too much off of 2021 IRC Jerry. He had a snub and if I recall it was a short rod.

Edited by RangerMcFadden

19 minutes ago, RangerMcFadden said:

I’ll send you videos of me reloading. How big are your hands? Mine are too small to reach through the frame without slow down.

The problem isn’t the brass ejecting. It’s any unshot rounds. If you’re going fast enough they’ll go right back in the gun.

Videos would be great.

I wear an XL glove, with meaty palms.  

38 minutes ago, MWP said:

I eject with weak hand index finger for 9mm, the 38 family and 45. Only time I’ve had to do something different has been 357 brass. 

Does that work w/o moons, too?  Life would be extra awesome if I didn't have to alter my ejection.

Thanks!

Jason

6 hours ago, Makicjf said:

Does that work w/o moons, too?  Life would be extra awesome if I didn't have to alter my ejection.

Thanks!

Jason

It does for me. I shot a non clipped 686 for years and had that reload comfortably under 2 seconds with that method. 

FWIW right now in ICORE Classic I'm shooting my m28-3 with 38 short colts?  I found with a 1.180 oal L Frame Comp III's put enough of the bullet into the chambers to smoothly work!  38 Special and larger will bind with this same combination.  The 38 short colts ejected with no issues and the question would be whether a safe major load could be made.  One of the European IPSC Revolver competitors was shooting major, or stated they were going to, with 38 short colts back around 2006 or so.

Just food for thought.  

My 2022 ICORE IPM scores with a 625PC were 98.39, with the m28 & 38 SC's they were 108.14.  I never had a fumble with ejection or insertion though.

Edited by pskys2

10 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

FWIW right now in ICORE Classic I'm shooting my m28-3 with 38 short colts?  I found with a 1.180 oal L Frame Comp III's put enough of the bullet into the chambers to smoothly work!  38 Special and larger will bind with this same combination.  The 38 short colts ejected with no issues and the question would be whether a safe major load could be made.  One of the European IPSC Revolver competitors was shooting major, or stated they were going to, with 38 short colts back around 2006 or so.

Just food for thought.  

My 2022 ICORE IPM scores with a 625PC were 98.39, with the m28 & 38 SC's they were 108.14.  I never had a fumble with ejection or insertion though.

Your major point is a good one.  I'm thinking that an .898 38 special case and a 38 Super case will have very similar case capacities ( easy to figure out).  If so , a bit of due diligence using 38 Super data,  incremental rational reloading practices, good powder selection and experimentation should enable me to arrive at a short, safe major load.  I'll only go that route if I struggle with ejection with regular special cases.  38/44 data easily makes a nice shooting major in a 6 inch GP 100.   My intent, is to use short cases for the IRC and regionals.  However, everything is speculation, at the moment!    My 38 SC length is actually 1.195 so by your data should work, but the idea of leaving  Starline 38 Short  Colt scattered all over the range hurts my miserly soul!  Though its good to know that is an option.  The reason I started shooting revo is after my first USPSA match, I could'nt stand watching all my 45 ACP brass flying away:  I went the next day and bought a 625...

I'm looking forward to this!

Jason 

On 10/28/2022 at 11:06 AM, Makicjf said:

Your major point is a good one.  I'm thinking that an .898 38 special case and a 38 Super case will have very similar case capacities ( easy to figure out).  If so , a bit of due diligence using 38 Super data,  incremental rational reloading practices, good powder selection and experimentation should enable me to arrive at a short, safe major load.  I'll only go that route if I struggle with ejection with regular special cases.  38/44 data easily makes a nice shooting major in a 6 inch GP 100.   My intent, is to use short cases for the IRC and regionals.  However, everything is speculation, at the moment!    My 38 SC length is actually 1.195 so by your data should work, but the idea of leaving  Starline 38 Short  Colt scattered all over the range hurts my miserly soul!  Though its good to know that is an option.  The reason I started shooting revo is after my first USPSA match, I could'nt stand watching all my 45 ACP brass flying away:  I went the next day and bought a 625...

I'm looking forward to this!

Jason 

And even worse when you pick up loose 38 short colts on a range with 9mm, it's real time consuming to sort them out!