Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC 5.2.5 (distance from belt) for moon clip carriers

Fishbreath

I run my moon clips pretty far from my body and tilted away from me, and am interested in making myself some IPSC-compatible gear in the event I try for a world shoot spot sometime down the line. I don't quite understand what IPSC 5.2.5 means, though. Is it more or less the same as the USPSA rule, except 50mm and measured from the torso instead of the inner belt? Or is it measured to the vertical center of the cartridge? Or something else entirely?

5.2.5  Where a Division specifies a maximum distance that a competitor's handgun and equipment may extend away from a competitor's body, a Range Officer may check compliance by measuring the closest distance between the competitor's torso and the center of the longest dimension of the handgun grip and/or any reloading devices.

The center of the longest dimension on a moon clip would be the center of the moon clip. So reading this literally the measurement would be from the torso to the center of the circle… Maybe someone who has been to a World Shoot with a revolver can chime in

clip.thumb.jpeg.697434c5d745db4c4152898dccec6ee4.jpeg 

29 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

The center of the longest dimension on a moon clip would be the center of the moon clip.

This was my reading initially, but 'center of the longest dimension' is a little ambiguous: do they mean the center in three-dimensional space (which would be very hard to measure to, on a semiauto magazine, for instance), or the point on the surface of the device closest to the center of the longest dimension?

mag.thumb.jpeg.35912b7af8ce43697f5740b8a86dc051.jpeg

i.e., would the measurement be to a point on the orange line for bullets forward, a point on the red line (well, on the analog to the red line on the back of the mag), or a point somewhere inside the magazine body?

13 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

This was my reading initially, but 'center of the longest dimension' is a little ambiguous: do they mean the center in three-dimensional space (which would be very hard to measure to, on a semiauto magazine, for instance), or the point on the surface of the device closest to the center of the longest dimension?

i.e., would the measurement be to a point on the orange line for bullets forward, a point on the red line (well, on the analog to the red line on the back of the mag), or a point somewhere inside the magazine body?

It's the flat "side" of the magaine or the grip.  For a moon clip it should be to the cartridge rim/base   

PM Troy McManus, USPSA NROI Director, and make sure to state that it is IPSC.  

5 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

If you search on this board you will find a thread from 2001 on this subject that also lacks a clear answer, and vince pinto himself tried to...

Mwp is the only person still active on rev board that can answer i think...

I don’t remember any of the 2017 team being questioned or measured.

I was wearing a Speed-E-rack at the time, Josh the DAA posts, Dave the North Mountain and Rich his posts sticking straight out from his belt. I’d consider all those the “mainstream” holders, other than Rich’s unique setup, and have never hear of any of those being an issue.