Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RDS steel plate

deerslayer

I have an SP-01 Accu Shadow with RDS that refuses to hang on to my Leupold DPP.  I have cleaned the screws and threads, used thread locker, and properly torqued each time I re-attach the dot.  The plate has remained secured to the gun each time the dot has come loose.  I did the mount-the-dot-to-the-plate-first-to-make-sure-the-screws-aren’t-too-long trick.  I have been told my problems are due to the aluminum plate I am using and that I need the steel version.  The steel plate is out of stock at CZC.  Does anyone know where else the steel plate can be found?  The aluminum one is available at several places but I haven’t been able to find a steel one. 

Edited by deerslayer

21 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I have an SP-01 Accu Shadow with RDS that refuses to hang on to my Leupold DPP.  I have cleaned the screws and threads, used thread locker, and properly torqued each time I re-attach the dot.  The plate has remained secured to the gun each time the dot has come loose.  I did the mount-the-dot-to-the-plate-first-to-make-sure-the-screws-aren’t-too-long trick.  I have been told my problems are due to the aluminum plate I am using and that I need the steel version.  The steel plate is out of stock at CZC.  Does anyone know where else the steel plate can be found?  The aluminum one is available at several places but I haven’t been able to find a steel one. 

Did you notice this thread where people were having good service ordering from cz-parts?

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/302988-has-anyone-ordered-from-cz-partscom-other-recommendations-for-sro-mounting-plate-for-s2-or/

https://www.cz-parts.com/cz-red-dot

Also, at the recommendation of C&H, I've started using Vibra-Tite threadlocker for all my RDS installs.  So far, it's worked excellent!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088YEGXM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

👍

7 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Did you notice this thread where people were having good service ordering from cz-parts?

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/302988-has-anyone-ordered-from-cz-partscom-other-recommendations-for-sro-mounting-plate-for-s2-or/

https://www.cz-parts.com/cz-red-dot

Also, at the recommendation of C&H, I've started using Vibra-Tite threadlocker for all my RDS installs.  So far, it's worked excellent!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088YEGXM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

👍

Looks like they have a lot of plates for OR guns, but no RDS style plates.  

On 10/3/2022 at 11:06 AM, deerslayer said:

Oddly I had this same issue with only the left side of the screws, both the actual plate screw and the screw that went into the slide itself. Use new screws, used acetone, cleaned the threads etc. Still couldn't get it to hold. Tried purple loktite still didn't work. Used brake cleaner, still no luck. Then one day I just took the used screw with dried loktite out and reapplied loktite to the screw and tightened down and then let it set for several days.

Surprisingly this apparently has worked, across two matches and maybe 300+ rounds at this point. Before I could get the screws backing out after one stage and maybe 20 rounds.

25 minutes ago, ultimase said:

Oddly I had this same issue with only the left side of the screws, both the actual plate screw and the screw that went into the slide itself. Use new screws, used acetone, cleaned the threads etc. Still couldn't get it to hold. Tried purple loktite still didn't work. Used brake cleaner, still no luck. Then one day I just took the used screw with dried loktite out and reapplied loktite to the screw and tightened down and then let it set for several days.

Surprisingly this apparently has worked, across two matches and maybe 300+ rounds at this point. Before I could get the screws backing out after one stage and maybe 20 rounds.

IMO, this sounds like the threads/fasteners on the left side receivers were possibly machined on the larger side of max specs.  All the more reason to use an acrylic resin type thread compound...........

Unlike a traditional threadlocker which attempts to fix a fastener solidly in place; VC-3 works on the principle of vibration dampening. VC-3 essentially isolates the fastener from the vibration of the assembly, absorbing any intense shock and vibration which keeps the fastener from rotating. However, when you try to remove a fastener coated with VC-3 with continual torque in a singe direction, because of VC-3′s viscous flow properties, it will eventually rotate out. But this action is not representative of vibration in a real use situation where the direction and velocity is of a more random pattern.

🤔

10 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

IMO, this sounds like the threads/fasteners on the left side receivers were possibly machined on the larger side of max specs.  All the more reason to use an acrylic resin type thread compound...........

🤔

Two friends suggested I use red Loctite (!) and use a soldering iron to gently warm up the screws if I need to remove them.  Both have used this method successfully.  I would rather not mess with red, but may resort to trying it if CZC won’t make any new steel plates.  Or put the rear sight back on it and sell the damn gun.  

I think I have some VC-3 that came with an old CHPWS order and may try it.  I’m not optimistic, though.  I don’t want to waste any more time and ammo shooting the gun, having the dot come loose again, putting the gun back in the safe, and shooting my go-to G17 until I find a steel plate (which pretty much describes where I am now).  

Edited by deerslayer

We have the same CZ Accushadow and have had the exact same problem with a Trijicon SRO loosening up after a match or 2. It is a Cajun plate.  Tried different screw materials with no luck.  Blue loctite each time.  Plate stays tight to slide. Just replaced the plate and all screws.  Was fine for 1 match,  but will see after a few.

gerritm 

Use red 271. Just make sure you have a good tool when you decide to take it back out and you’ll probably need a soldering gun to heat it up. 
I use 271 all the time at work for smaller screws and rarely have any issues removing them. 

helicoiling your plate will work too. It will allow you to put a little more torque on the screws.