Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major

johnhurd

My understanding is that pins (like steel) react more authoritatively to momentum than to energy. ie, the bigger/heavier the bullet at some reasonable speed, the better (thus why hot .45 loads, 10mm, .44 Mag seem to be fairly popular for pins). Shred posted some info about shooting racegun stuff at pins, I think - might do a search for them. Sticking to heavier JHPs would probably be a good starting point - like, 147s....

With 124s, even at Major velocity, your "kill zone" is pretty narrow, as I understand it...

I used a Super on pins for a little while. I ran a VV max load of N105 (sometimes N350) and a 147 Rem Gold Saber bullet.. around 180-190 PF, it worked pretty well. Lighter bullets with <170 PF IPSC loads worked ok, but not as well-- as XRe says, the 'kill' zone is smaller. Use a JHP if at all possible and hope your tables are on the small side.

Sherwyn used to run a Super on pins at the old Iowa pin matches, and he did reasonably well when (1) the pins were brand new, (2) the tables were steel, not rusty, and brushed completely clean of debris, and (3) he hit them very close to dead-center.

(Big heavy bullets are the real answer to pin-shooting, fellas.)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

well, if yer shooting 9 pin, where in the old second chance dayz were set 1 foot from the back of the table, yer fine (patrick s., jump in anytime). BUT, if we're talking 5 pin, where the pins are 1 foot from the front edge, 9mm bullets makes pins laugh!!! gimme the 285GR .45 HP's for that stuff... :D:D

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Pins are the way to go.

With the heavier bullets you have a good set up - if everything is clean and new.

The 38 Supers with the 147 do a good job on the pins and now some are using the 9mm combo.

But for the best results you need power.

Second Chance was Great when it was running.

Wish it was back –

there is a large Pin Shoot in Southwestern Michigan in June/July. Not advertised very much – I think it could be a secret. I try to advertise it when I hear about it. Not sure if results are published.

A long time ago I always had Pictures and videos of all our shoots on the web, along with USPSA events.

I use to publish videos of shoots on my site – I think some are still out on MSN.

Just follow my links below.