Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Promag tube for any division

jasmap

I know most of us are not Promag fans but also a few people have had luck with them. Is the general problem the spring and follower or the tube itself or the combo of tube/guts?

I'm asking because I've seen someone state they used the Promag tubes but changed to Grams spring/follower and they worked great. I only remember the one-person sample. I'm primarily asking for my Canik Rival but I'd be open to trying the tube w/internals swap on other guns too.

Does anyone else have experience with doing this and what were the results?

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I did a little experiment to try and make a Sig 365XL into a somewhat-competitive CO gun.  Part of that process was sourcing mags.  Sig only made 15 round mags, which wasn’t nearly enough for a good CO gun.  

However, Promag makes 20 and 30 round mags for the little Sig guns.  Why would they do that?  I’m not sure, but I’m glad they did.  I got two of the 20 round mags along with some 3D printed sleeves to fill in the space between the bottom of the grip and mag baseplate.

Ill tell you, those mags took a lot of work to run correctly.  However, what I found was that cleaning out the gunk inside the mag bodies as well as substituting the Promag followers for OEM Sig followers were the keys to getting the mags to work reliably.  I also sanded down the edges of the followers just slightly so they wouldn’t bind as much around the 8-10 round mark.

So to answer your question: based on my singular experience with one type of Promag, the mag bodies and followers need the most attention. If I could replace the springs I’d probably do that as well.

On 8/20/2022 at 4:05 AM, lroy said:

I have no idea how legit this is, but this guy swears by doubling the springs.

If that works, it makes me think it's the slring/followers binding up inside the tube.

Must be what the gang bangers do in their spare time. 🤣  My friend had one for his 1911 that was hit & miss and while picking up his brass I noticed a groove scratched in all the cases. Took the mag apart and on the feed lips there was a nice sharp burr from when they stamped it out. His gun was full of brass curls too. After cleaning everything and polishing the ramps it worked much better but I think a spring would have made it 100% as it felt weak compared to his factory ones.