Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time trying out the "Advanced Weak Hand Reload" - technique during IPSC training - 27072022

It is good to practice this, but I have never seen or shot a stage where a week hand reload would be required in a Uspsa course of fire.  It is my understanding that once the weak hand is required the strong hand cannot be employed, in any fashion.  Am I wrong?  I cannot conceive of such a requirement in a Uspsa COF.

58 minutes ago, Fotofavoloso said:

I cannot conceive of such a requirement in a Uspsa COF.

Because it can't be. Well it can but it can't be penalized.

If a course of fire stipulates shooting strong or weak hand only, a competitor will not be penalized for using the other hand (i.e. the other arm from the shoulder to the hand) to disengage an external safety, to reload or to correct a malfunction. ...

1 hour ago, Fotofavoloso said:

It is good to practice this, but I have never seen or shot a stage where a week hand reload would be required in a Uspsa course of fire.  It is my understanding that once the weak hand is required the strong hand cannot be employed, in any fashion.  Am I wrong?  I cannot conceive of such a requirement in a Uspsa COF.

A weak hand reload cannot be required but there are stages in which a reload is required between weak hand strings.  You can either move the gun to the strong hand, reload, and move the gun back to the weak hand or (much more quickly) can stuff the magazine in with the strong hand while the gun never leaves the weak hand.

This stage at last year's carry optics nationals required a reload on each of the two strings.  String two required weak hand shooting from both boxes with a mandatory reload when moving from one box to the other.  It is on that second string that reloading with the gun in the weak hand would save time

You are indeed wrong assuming that the strong hand cannot be used during a weak hand only string of fire.  It can be used to reload and clear malfunctions without penalty.

And for us silly Classic shooters...  a short course requiring 12 shots...  you're gonna be reloading. 

I did it once this way in a weak-hand only stage at the Benelux Open Level III match...  cut about 3 to 4 seconds off the time of the other classic shooters who switched hands to do the reload (take the gun back in the strong hand and do the reload)

I messed up the rest of the match, of course......

I started practicing it after I saw a dry fire session from Eric Grauffel on Insta... 

Not because I thought it was necessary, but It just looks friggin' cool....     

By the way, I believe I saw a match-breakdown on YouTube from Mason Lane where he also did this reload at a weak hand only stage. 

It really is much, much quicker, and not hard at all.  

Edited by WFargo

4 hours ago, WFargo said:

And for us silly Classic shooters...  a short course requiring 12 shots...  you're gonna be reloading. 

I did it once this way in a weak-hand only stage at the Benelux Open Level III match...  cut about 3 to 4 seconds off the time of the other classic shooters who switched hands to do the reload (take the gun back in the strong hand and do the reload)

I messed up the rest of the match, of course......

I started practicing it after I saw a dry fire session from Eric Grauffel on Insta... 

Not because I thought it was necessary, but It just looks friggin' cool....     

By the way, I believe I saw a match-breakdown on YouTube from Mason Lane where he also did this reload at a weak hand only stage. 

It really is much, much quicker, and not hard at all.  

Correct, see timestamp 1:21 of this video: 

37 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

It was at least a second on the clock for me after some decent dry fire night before the match.  We are scoring points per second so any time saved helps.  

That's true. I was just questioning the 3 or 4 seconds supposedly saved.

33 minutes ago, CClassForLife said:

The even more advanced strat is to learn to shoot with the other side and orient a mag pouch towards the opposite direction. This way, it's like doing a normal reload.

If there is a stage like this in the future and you attend that match, I will be deeply disappointed you don't win the stage.  😆

Edited by Boomstick303