Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using Dillon Vs Lee Dies

I am interested in learning what the real benefit is, if there is one of using Dillon pistol caliber dies over Lee three die set. I am getting a Dillon 550c and am looking at dies. I understand that the Dillon dies use a separate die to crimp where the Lee dies use the same die to seat and crimp. Does this make a real difference? Is there any other differences I should be aware of? It seems currently the Dillon 3 die set takes 6 months to receive where I can get the Lee die set off the shelf, plus the Dillon dies are substantially more expensive. Any input would be helpful, thanks!

1 hour ago, ShootingPilot said:

if there is one of using Dillon pistol caliber dies over Lee three die set.

I have used Lee, RCBS, Mighty Armor, and Dillon for 9MM and 40SW on the progressive press I prefer Dillon. My Dillon 9MM sizing die has processed over 50 K and is still running strong.

For 45 ACP, 45 LC I use Lee - cost was main factor.

1 hour ago, ShootingPilot said:

Lee dies use the same die to seat and crimp.

Not true, Lee makes a taper crimp only die and it works very well. However, I use Dillon for 9 & 40 because I found it makes a smoother crimp.

The only Lee Die I would not use (early on in my reloading adventures I used it) is the 9mm FCD, especially with coated and plated bullets. There's a lot of discussion on this and other forums about it. Basically it fixes one problem caused by process and then creates another problem effecting accuracy.

Dillon carbide pistol dies are very good.  I'm using a separate seating and crimping die because setup is much simpler with different length 9mm cases.  Lots of others make dies which will work just as well as the Dillon's and are available.

Buy what you can and use them.  When the Dillon's come back in stock, you have a decision to make.

The Lee die can be set to seat and crimp if that is what you desire.

It can also be set to seat only.

If it is set to only perform the seating function then you would need a separate crimp die.

As has been pointed out Lee has a couple of options (I'm assuming 9mm here so verify for other cartridges): 1. a standard taper crimp die. 2. the Lee FCD die.

I set the Lee die to seat only. For crimping I've used the FCD die for hundreds of thousands of rounds.

It works well for jacketed bullets. I tried it with coated bullets and was less impressed.

I've got the Lee dies on six separate tool heads.

Some consider Lee's stuff to be "cheap". Some consider their stuff is just "less expensive". I see it both ways. I'd put their dies in the "less expensive" category.

I use several Lee die sets in my 550b and have had no issues. For the price, I can buy 2 sets of Lee for one set of Dillion.

Additionally, I have encountered occasional feeding issues while using the Dillon sizing die. As near as I can tell, the flare it has doesn't allow the die to size as low as other sizing dies. A Lee FCD will probably fix this.

Finally, there's a lot of discussion about accuracy all through the sport. Pistols are inherently inaccurate due to sight radius, mating of parts, and general slop when in battery. The best you usually see is 1-2" groupings at 25 yds. That's 4-8 MOA! Terrible!

Go with whatever die meets your needs. A little variation in cartridges isn't going to affect your accuracy like the wrong twist rate it bullet weight will. Nothing wrong with Lee if that's what you want. Nothing wrong with Dillon or any of the others either if you don't mind the cost.

Just avoid the TiN plated dies and stick to carbide. Carbide will last you many many thousands of rounds as long as the brass is relatively clean so you don't chip it scratch them.

48 minutes ago, Gussers said:

Additionally, I have encountered occasional feeding issues while using the Dillon sizing die. As near as I can tell, the flare it has doesn't allow the die to size as low as other sizing dies.

Not really. The issue you're having is most likely because the Dillon 9mm sizing die is really an undersize die (like the Lee undersize) and with certain brass will cause a bulge as the bullet is pressed in. This happens especially with CBC stamped brass and 147s, which are seated deeper. 

The FCD will "fix" it because it resizes the brass after it's been reloaded and in doing thus also swages the bullet down. This is known to cause a now undersized bullet to have accuracy issues and possibly tumble as it leaves the barrel. Too much crimp will also do the same.

Personally because I compete with 9mm my process is a double pass on a 1050. The first to decap and resize the second to prime and load. In the second pass I use an NOE expander in the first position to "pre-size" the brass for the bullet. This basically eliminated any bullet seating bulge and I load 147/150 gr coated at 1.12" with range brass.

As far as accuracy goes, all my guns shoot head shots easily at 25 yards. The misses are all my fault.

I stopped using FCD, I was having issues with my major 9 ammo passing a hundo case gauge, I swapped out the FCD with a Redding crimp die and and it pretty much solved it.

I also do a double pass on my 9 brass, after I wet tumble and dry, I resize and deprime, the FCD is placed on station 4 on my 650 with the crimp backed off so it doesn’t touch the case and resize the case again.

12 hours ago, Leadpilot said:

I marked up a couple rounds before crimping with a factory crimp die and see no evidence of bullet swaging. The bullets are .356” seated to 1.10”.D0861FA3-497A-45C8-B506-FEAB6F3536F3.jpeg.5d05267483246acc0c6adc0a9b4a4699.jpeg

Pull some bullets before and after using the die compare the size.

Also the greatest effect is with brass which has a faster taper like CBC.

https://leeprecision.com/carbide-factory-crimp-die-9mm.html “Lee 9MM LUGER Carbide Factory Crimp Die sizes the cartridge while being crimped”

If this is the die you have it will resize the case and bullet as it rises after seating. The amount will depend on the length of the bullet, how deep it is seated and the brass being used. Too many threads covering this subject do some searching.  

Edited by HesedTech