Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hogue HoldAll Moonclip Holders

matteekay

4 hours ago, matteekay said:

Anyone tried them? Thoughts? It looks like a good design, and they'd be legal under the new IDPA rules.

I use them sometimes. If they meet idpa rules (I didn’t know there was a rule change?) they would be fine. I bolted mine to my belt to ensure they don’t move either direction. 

1 hour ago, MWP said:

I use them sometimes. If they meet idpa rules (I didn’t know there was a rule change?) they would be fine. I bolted mine to my belt to ensure they don’t move either direction. 

Yeah, new rulebook as of 6/1/22 that loosened a ton of gear rules. For moonclip holders, they dropped the language that said they must "cover at least 45% of the diameter and 100% of the cartridge height when viewed from the front" and now only state that the moon needs to be held by tension and a post through the center. 

35 minutes ago, MWP said:

They’re a basic, very universal in design. Nice to have a few spares in the box too. 

Looks like it. I'll report back once I've had the chance to play with them in case anyone else is interested.

I checked out the product since you were inquiring about it. The picture of the holder with the 45 ACP looks short for 38 Special and I didn’t see where there are options on length. I’d be interested in knowing whether they would secure the longer loaded moon clips. 

2 hours ago, roundabout said:

I checked out the product since you were inquiring about it. The picture of the holder with the 45 ACP looks short for 38 Special and I didn’t see where there are options on length. I’d be interested in knowing whether they would secure the longer loaded moon clips. 

I can try it with .38 Short Colt, .40, .38 Special, and .357 so I'll let you know!

On 7/8/2022 at 4:59 AM, roundabout said:

RA:

I bought both the moon clip and speed loader holders a while ago for concealed carry purposes.  Just note that they clip over a belt so are not as secure as competitive sorts of moon clip holders.  

The moon clip holder will hold a six round .38 special moon clip but it doesn't secure them well so they can easily fall out.

I found the speed loader holder to work quite well with moon clips though.  They can take either six or seven round moon clips and even .357.  The front panel angles back so it holds the moon clips and speed loaders more securely.  It is my choice for concealed carry purposes.

GG

I've used these for a few matches now (IDPA and bowling pins) and here are my thoughts...

I tried these with .357, .38 Special and Short Colt (all 8-shot), .40S&W and 10mm (6-shot). Retention was good on all of them. One thing I like is that the little hump that's used for retention fits between two rounds so it keeps the moon indexed in the exact same position, meaning your fingers grasp the same spots every single time. The HoldAll also moves the moons further away from your belt compared to other options.

Retention also might be a little too good. The belt loop is pretty big and fairly flexible (it's folded-over kydex) so the whole unit has a tendency to bend outward if the moon hangs up at all during extraction. This sounds minor, but it effectively stops you from pulling the moon off unless you rip it out. A really sturdy belt helps prevent this from happening. The other minor quibble I have is that the diameter of the center posts are slightly larger than the diameter of the screws that hold them in. This creates a ledge that 6-shot moons can get hung up on. Not a big deal for normal usage but they would be a nightmare for unloaded starts.

Overall, these have more positives than negatives. I'm going to hold onto mine and use them for bowling pins (where there are no unloaded starts and I rarely reload). I'm sticking with my RSC posts for ICORE/USPSA and my modified Safariland holders for IDPA as they both have "good enough" retention but less of the HoldAll's negatives.