Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Striker Assembly Problem

Paul B

My x5 has had over 10,000 rounds through it. Mostly 147's at 132 PF but with a few 115"s for practice. Recently did a complete cleaning and noticed that the striker assembly firing pin was protruding when the slide was open. Not much but concerning. I disassembled and checked the striker assembly found no problems with the spring but did notice a little play in the firing pin extension out of the rear assembly. Thought it was just dirt so did a complete cleaning of the channel and reassembled with no lube as recommended by the factory. It still happened when the slide was cycled the firing pin still protruded.

Luckily I had a replacement striker assemble as I keep a stock of parts for this gun. Put in the new striker and no longer a problem. Firing pin retracted as normal. I can only surmise that some of the parts of the striker assembly just experienced wear and tear.

Through all this the gun functioned normally but the threat of it going full auto was there I guess???

In any case just a word to those using high mileage p 320 check that the firing pin is fully retracted when you open the slide.

I stand corrected and thanks for the video. I thought the only spring to look at was the mainspring but did find the tiny spring inside was broken and in fact part was gone! Thanks for the help.

7 hours ago, Paul B said:

I stand corrected and thanks for the video. I thought the only spring to look at was the mainspring but did find the tiny spring inside was broken and in fact part was gone! Thanks for the help.

Glad you found it!

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

14 minutes ago, yekcoh said:

The striker reset spring breaks every 1000 rounds. So I don't even know why they are even there. Worst part is, you can't even find them online without diving into it.

1,000 rounds? 

1 hour ago, yekcoh said:

The striker reset spring breaks every 1000 rounds. So I don't even know why they are even there. Worst part is, you can't even find them online without diving into it.

I'm trying to figure out how the reset spring would only last 1,000 rounds when the Armorer's Manual shows the Striker Assembly replaceable every 20,000 rounds in 9mm.............

image.thumb.png.6bc3f98f3082235881985a1460bd218d.png

52 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

I'm trying to figure out how the reset spring would only last 1,000 rounds when the Armorer's Manual shows the Striker Assembly replaceable every 20,000 rounds in 9mm.............

I own three Sig P320s. I shoot 20-30k a year. I shoot 132pf 147gr bullets. These springs always fail on me so it's a design flaw.

27 minutes ago, yekcoh said:

I own three Sig P320s. I shoot 20-30k a year. I shoot 132pf 147gr bullets. These springs always fail on me so it's a design flaw.

@yekcohThanks for the feedback!  I did buy a spare as I like to keep extras just in case.  But I don't have enough time/experience with the MAX to know of it's weak points.  

Any aftermarket suppliers that you know of that's offering a better replacement?

👍

3 hours ago, yekcoh said:

How much dryfire in the 1000 live rounds?

4 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

@yekcohThanks for the feedback!  I did buy a spare as I like to keep extras just in case.  But I don't have enough time/experience with the MAX to know of it's weak points.  

Any aftermarket suppliers that you know of that's offering a better replacement?

👍

Striker reset spring wise, no. In fact all of the springs I have are factory. 

4 hours ago, Rich406 said:

How much dryfire in the 1000 live rounds?

That’s a good question… I never count those so I’m not sure but it’s definitely there

8 hours ago, yekcoh said:

That’s a good question… I never count those so I’m not sure but it’s definitely there

Dryfire is what causes the spring to be crushed. The striker is designed to hit the the primer and stop. With no ammo in the gun, the striker continues forward and puts extra compression on the reset spring. 

it’s bad design for sure, but it’s engineered to function with live rounds, not dryfire. I’d bet that for 99% of p320 owners, it will never be an issue. 

the gun still functions perfectly fine, I quit changing out this spring on my practice gun years ago. 

1 hour ago, Rich406 said:

Dryfire is what causes the spring to be crushed. The striker is designed to hit the the primer and stop. With no ammo in the gun, the striker continues forward and puts extra compression on the reset spring. 

it’s bad design for sure, but it’s engineered to function with live rounds, not dryfire. I’d bet that for 99% of p320 owners, it will never be an issue. 

the gun still functions perfectly fine, I quit changing out this spring on my practice gun years ago. 

I usually put a dummy round with eraser inside the primer pocket during dry fire but I guess that’s not really doing anything to absorb the impact then.