Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Shot Is A No-fire!

Well. I did it again. I pulled the trigger and nothing happened.

Normally you can tell when the hammer falls in an empty chamber versus a dud primer.

This was an empty chamber. I can understand this happening during the course of fire when somehow you ran out of ammo. But the first shot of the stage?????????

Lately the CRO's are telling shooters how they are allowed only "one" pass at the beginning of the stage "with an empty gun, of course". This can create an "anxiety to cooperate and abide" by the "expediency rules". Yes, I have seen some shooters try to run a complete "practice drill" after they are told the "get ready" command, and do multiple dry fires at various targets before actually "load and make ready" is executed.

This time when the "load and make ready" came, I calmly drew my open gun, racked the slide to pre-cock the hammer, adjusted the C-More dot and pointed it to a nearby target. Normally at this point I will pull the trigger and then insert the loaded mag before the slide is pulled again to chamber the "first round" and the thumb safety activated before re-holstering. But, this time "for expediency's sake" I did not pull the trigger on the empty chamber. Instead a loaded magazine was promptly inserted, the safety duly activated, and the gun re-holstered (with an empty chamber)!!!!!!!

Imagine my surprise when after getting the adrenalin pumping, hearing the "beep", I drew the gun, called the shot, pulled the trigger... but got no bang. :(<_<:o Well, I guess I could blame it on the big Iguana that was scurrying by behind the targets at the time. :D

It's happened to me too...

Something I learned from a self defense course took a hold of me after that stage... I always do a press check, physical and sight check that there is a round in the chamber as my last operation...

My screw up was caught on video... Really sucked...

I feel for you,

Ira

after they are told the "get ready" command, and do multiple dry fires at various targets before actually "load and make ready" is executed.

Just what game are you playing? Shooting a C-More, I would think you are shooting USPSA, but "get ready" and gun handling before LAMR isn't USPSA.

after they are told the "get ready" command, and do multiple dry fires at various targets before actually "load and make ready" is executed.

Just what game are you playing? Shooting a C-More, I would think you are shooting USPSA, but "get ready" and gun handling before LAMR isn't USPSA.

Erik, he did say that after he was given LAMR he inserted the magazine but forgot to load the chamber. Probably some southern local command like "Is The Shooter Ready" or "stoke 'um and stroke 'um".

It's happened to me too. Once I inserted the mag, but not fully and racked it and holstered. First round was a click and then mag fell out of the gun. I insert more forcefully these days.

The USPSA current command is: "Are YOU ready?" Can't tell I just finished an RO class last weekend can you? Still lots to learn.

Rick