Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 MAX Upgraded: The adventure continues!

HOGRIDER

3 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

I have not been to the Range for chrono testing of this particular load yet; but based on previous testing of very similar powder weights, I feel confident they will be in the 137-138PF range.

Is this for the KKM barrel?

I intend to actually back down my PF with the Barstow barrels I have just installed in my Legion and AXG.  In initial off hand testing the accuracy seems to be the same with slow 147 gr bullets at a PF of about 130 and faster 125 gr bullets at a PF of about 135-138. 

Something I found super interesting is I did not get a big POI vs POA impact between the 147 gr and 125 gr bullets at 10 yds I use to see with the Sig barrels.  POI seems to be the same for both loads.  

I intend to slow down 125 gr a little bit and test accuracy.  You might want to test at some lower PF and see what happens. 

I intend to get into some pretty detailed testing with the new barrels in regards to accuracy with my current loaded ammo.  I will report back in what I find with off the bench testing.   

9 minutes ago, B585 said:

If that’s at 25 yards, I didn’t think that was possible out of this gun.  Very impressive!!!

This friends RR shooting area has some limitations, so it's 20 or 50 yds.  I am at 20 when testing there.

:)

47 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Is this for the KKM barrel?

I intend to actually back down my PF with the Barstow barrels I have just installed in my Legion and AXG.  In initial off hand testing the accuracy seems to be the same with slow 147 gr bullets at a PF of about 130 and faster 125 gr bullets at a PF of about 135-138. 

Something I found super interesting is I did not get a big POI vs POA impact between the 147 gr and 125 gr bullets at 10 yds I use to see with the Sig barrels.  POI seems to be the same for both loads.  

I intend to slow down 125 gr a little bit and test accuracy.  You might want to test at some lower PF and see what happens. 

I intend to get into some pretty detailed testing with the new barrels in regards to accuracy with my current loaded ammo.  I will report back in what I find with off the bench testing.   

Yes, this is definitely with the KKM.

My initial testing was 4.4, 4.6, 4.8, and 5.0g.  Per KKM's recommendations I was looking for that sweet spot of 1050-1100fps.  4.6g and 4.8g showed some definite promise and I did have earlier chrono numbers but only for the 4.8 and 5.0 loads.  The 4.8g was averaging 141PF/1138fps.

During this latest RR tests session, I tested 4.6, 4.7, & 4.8.  My results above were at 4.7g!  So again I'm guessing the chrono will result in ~137-138PF.

In all honesty, the groups I've seen at anywhere from 4.5 to 4.8g would be satisfactory for many shooters.  But I also want to see how the Zero 125s react to the KKM.  When I have time.................  😰

Definitely looking forward to your results with the Bar-Sto!  Keep me in the loop!

:)👍

3 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Yes, this is definitely with the KKM.

My initial testing was 4.4, 4.6, 4.8, and 5.0g.  Per KKM's recommendations I was looking for that sweet spot of 1050-1100fps.  4.6g and 4.8g showed some definite promise and I did have earlier chrono numbers but only for the 4.8 and 5.0 loads.  The 4.8g was averaging 141PF/1138fps.

During this latest RR tests session, I tested 4.6, 4.7, & 4.8.  My results above were at 4.7g!  So again I'm guessing the chrono will result in ~137-138PF.

In all honesty, the groups I've seen at anywhere from 4.5 to 4.8g would be satisfactory for many shooters.  But I also want to see how the Zero 125s react to the KKM.  When I have time.................  😰

Definitely looking forward to your results with the Bar-Sto!  Keep me in the loop!

:)👍

Is the 1050-1100 recommendation from KKM for 125s? 

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW:

Wanted to share another short test as I had not sighted in the MAX with this particular reload.  This is at the range using my very inexpensive Caldwell plastic pistol rest.  As you can imagine, it's not a real solid/stable platform to test on:

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/shooting-rests/the-pistolero/562771.html#start=1

But I feel my results turned out very well!  The first image was, as noted, 15 yds while the second was checking out to 20 yds.  I have to admit, with the sun being very bright, I was having a hard time keeping the red dot centered on the "red dot" of the test target on the 20yd results.

Hope this helps............

:)

RD2 Sight In MOA@15yds.png

RD2 Sight In MOA@20yds.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp