Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oil or grease?

Triggerslapper999

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to understand and appreciate what i would like to effect. Grease as i understand it is fundamentally oil with a thickener (and just like oil it might contain additional additives). The general rule i recall from parental instruction was if the part turns consider applying oil, if it slides consider grease. While these principles hold true to a measure...we are often faced with more complex considerations and specialized functions, forces, locations, contaminants and applications. 

For intense friction and higher speed applications especially when the mating surfaces are tight like a well crafted firearm's tight slide to frame fit, oil would typically be my preferred choice. If tolerances allow or if i'm dealing with galling concerns especially with different types of metals rubbing and working against each other then i generally apply a thin coat of grease with a couple of drops of oil on top of the grease. It might be voodoo but it's held me well with dealing with aluminum frame and steel slide platforms.

In areas or on components that endure heavier loads or parts that move in vertical relations to each other i generally prefer grease. The reason for this is it tends to stay in place longer and may provide some barrier function between the metal components...much as one might see with wheel-bearings or on the bar that activates a magazine safety.

Grease can help seals out the outside world, so if i'm storing the firearm for longer period of time in my coastal setting, particularly as i don't generally have to be able to grab it and fire without first cleaning or degreasing it.... the i will apply a somewhat liberal protective layer of grease. 

On 12/16/2022 at 7:36 AM, chrisstophere said:

Anyone on this thread mark their brass and have it affect the oil's viscosity after a few stages? Has it ever caused a FTF/FTE?

I use a thick red sharpie line on my brass for the best visibility in my environment and have found that after a few stages the marker dye is mixing with the oil causing the slide to slow down a bit. A few drops on the rails fixes it, but if I could find a better oil for my situation or a better way to mark brass that still allows it to be highly visible (thick lines vs thin line).

Yes, I’ve stopped marking my brass.  The thick line (looks great btw) vaporizes and gums up everything in short order.  I have the range panda max sharpie adapter for the DAA marker.

• 2 months later...