Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 powder load

Goat259

Good Evening,

I am starting to reload for the Tanfoglio Limited Custom Xtreme. I have VV N320 and 180 grain Blue Bullets.

The Coal I am aiming towards is 1.125, as for the powder load, this is what I have tested so far. 

4.0 Grains on N320 got me a PF of 160.

4.1 got me a PF of 162.

Need to make PF of 165 with a buffer, so I would like to be around 171-172. On the VV website, it says to do a max load of 4.1 grains with the N320. Is it ok to go above this?

Thank you for the help.

Goat

I use from 4.6-4.9gr of N320. Bu I also have a COL of 1.185". You'll have to increase you COL in order to go past the 4.1gr max. Most people load 40 S&W long in limited guns. 1.125" is too short for limited guns.

Check your mags for longest OAL they’ll accept and load to just less than that for OAL,  work your load up from there.  Yes,  you will be above published specs so you need to check for overpressure signs as should always be the case.  My limited chamber easily accepted 1.20” but that required 10mm mags.  With .40 mags your probably closer to 1.16” depending on bullet profile.  Use the search box,  you will find a ton of .40 load data using N320,  very popular powder.

Edited by NoSteel

Also, when reloading 40, is it common to not have rounds fit inside case gauge because unsupported barrels such as glocks? 

I am still doing load development. But, I do it in batches of 10. Sometimes I have 1 or 2 rounds that do not case gauge. Is it because I’m not roll sizing?

And, I was going to set my COAL at 1.124. Is this too short? 

Goat 

Edited by Goat259

On 6/1/2022 at 12:14 PM, Postal Bob said:

I use from 4.6-4.9gr of N320. Bu I also have a COL of 1.185". You'll have to increase you COL in order to go past the 4.1gr max. Most people load 40 S&W long in limited guns. 1.125" is too short for limited guns.

I use a similar load 4.5 N320 under 180 blue. 

My OAL was 1.14” since I shot in both CZ and 2011 limited guns. @Postal Bob long OAL may not fit his Italian limited gun. 

@Goat259 what is the longest you can load and still fit a Tangfolio mag and chamber? 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:38 PM, Goat259 said:

Also, when reloading 40, is it common to not have rounds fit inside case gauge because unsupported barrels such as glocks? 

I am still doing load development. But, I do it in batches of 10. Sometimes I have 1 or 2 rounds that do not case gauge. Is it because I’m not roll sizing?

Goat 

If your only dealing with small amount of bulge brass save the roll sizer expense and pick up a Lee bulge buster set & a cheap single stage press.

On 6/6/2022 at 10:30 PM, JayDee said:

I use a similar load 4.5 N320 under 180 blue. 

My OAL was 1.14” since I shot in both CZ and 2011 limited guns. @Postal Bob long OAL may not fit his Italian limited gun. 

@Goat259 what is the longest you can load and still fit a Tangfolio mag and chamber? 

@jaydee I have done plunk tests out to 1.135 and still pass. 

I have come with a load though. 

1.130”

180 Blue Bullets

4.5 grains of N320

170-171 Power Factor 

Is this acceptable? I don’t want to wreck my gun. 

Goat

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 7:38 PM, Goat259 said:

Goat 

Well you could try the Redding GRx die, I used it for years before I got my Rollsizer. But since the Rollsizer I haven't had a single round fail to gauge.