Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will the Ruger Super GP100 x 9mm ever reappear?

mikeAZ

Yes, I know S&W loyalists will slam it. Yes, the trigger is not as good as the S&W's even with the spring changes. It costs more and on and on....BUT why were so few made as late as 2020? Anyone got insider info?.

Edited by mikeAZ
spelling

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manufacturers seem to be dropping models left and right for various reasons, not sure where the truth is.   I like the model 5066 with the short and lighter cylinder.  All true comparing actions but there are a great number of folks that shoot them single action.  Ruger builds them like tanks to.  

2 hours ago, mikeAZ said:

Yes, I know S&W loyalists will slam it. Yes, the trigger is not as good as the S&W's even with the spring changes. It costs more and on and on....BUT why were so few made as late as 2020? Anyone got insider info?.

Not insider info, just guessing here. Most of the reasons you stated are probably why the Ruger is no longer in production. If the GP and a 929 we're sitting in the shelf side by side and someone was wanting to buy an eight shot 9 mil revolver, most people are going to pick that Smith, because it has a better trigger and cost less. I know I was interested in the eight shot GP, until I picked it up side by side with a Smith that cost less and felt the triggers and saw the finish on both. Then I figured I wouldn't even consider the GP 8 shooter. And I like rugers

And then the next part of that is, outside of the 20 people that shoot revolver in USPSA Nationwide, 9 mm eight shot revolvers are probably not in high demand.

I haven't really tidied up my 929 trigger yet beyond the barest minimum (strain screw for Federal ignition, removing the lock flag), but the Super GP was better out of the box, and I can reload the Super GP way faster, because the cylinder release with an extension is much easier to hit, and I can smack it around in ways that break Smiths.

I do admit that the Smith operating mechanism makes for a trigger that responds better to tuning. Once you've polished everything up and gone lighter on the springs, there's not a lot more you can do to a Ruger.

2 hours ago, RJH said:

And then the next part of that is, outside of the 20 people that shoot revolver in USPSA Nationwide, 9 mm eight shot revolvers are probably not in high demand.

Ruger made about 1200-1500 Super GPs in both calibers, of which maybe 5-10 see much use in action pistol matches, to the best of my knowledge. As with most factory competition guns, I don't think competitors account for very many sales.

45 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

Ruger made about 1200-1500 Super GPs in both calibers, of which maybe 5-10 see much use in action pistol matches, to the best of my knowledge. As with most factory competition guns, I don't think competitors account for very many sales.

Kinda want I am getting at. 100,000,000 or so gun owners in America and 1500 revolvers pretty much saturated the market. 

Thanks for the input. I had one of the 1st. 929's.  I just didn't like it.  Maybe the Ruger sky will open someday?. Some people like Fords, some like Chevys... Whose to  say...I had no idea that so many were made. Never seen one in ICORE shooting

11 hours ago, RJH said:

Kinda want I am getting at. 100,000,000 or so gun owners in America and 1500 revolvers pretty much saturated the market. 

Well, yes and no. They haven't been a massive hit in competition, but there are clearly people who still want them (two in this conversation; I still need a second), going by how far above MSRP they sell on Gunbroker, and how far below MSRP Ruger dealers usually price things.

26 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

Well, yes and no. They haven't been a massive hit in competition, but there are clearly people who still want them (two in this conversation; I still need a second), going by how far above MSRP they sell on Gunbroker, and how far below MSRP Ruger dealers usually price things.

But are there enough wanting them to justify a company tooling up to make them? There's always people willing to spend more than what something's worth when it's no longer available, just like people are spending crazy money on lever actions right now. So you really can't go off of people are spending more than retail or even a fair market value as a judge of how much demand there is on a particular item, because it's sometimes just scarcity that makes something valuable, not demand. Kind of like if there were 10 more of those revolvers, everybody in the world that wanted one might have one, but that doesn't really equate to high demand justifying a company building a bunch more revolvers, but those 10 people will spend stupid money to get one

All that said, Ruger still list them on the website so they probably are going to make a few more at some point

Just an observation: when the gun buying panic set in, 8 shot competition revolvers were the last thing left on the shelf. Of course - most new shooters were wanting semis. I remember going into our local Cebelas and they had three 929s alone in an otherwise empty case. If I knew how scarce they’d become, I would have picked one up. Rugers were available out here before the panic but mostly on order from the distributor. As inventory slowly fills here on the west coast, still no 8 shots of any flavor. Used ones on GB are above the list price my local has listed from their distributor. Wife is taking up the sport and we’ll be sharing for the foreseeable future. My theory is Smith and Ruger are probably still prioritizing their manufacturing to crack out the thousands of semis they can sell quickly rather than the few 8 bangers for those of us crazy enough to run ‘em. I can’t fault them, it seems to be a solid business decision that I would have made if I were in their position.

Well, the Ruger GP 100 world isn't  looking too good. There must be a demand for the Super GP 100's, as I've received 2 scam attempts thus far. Interesting comments, I've already bought the "spring" kit and the Allchin mini dot GP adaptor just in case. . Wating, waiting, Thanks, Mike 

Edited by mikeAZ
spelling

So I just did the crazy thing and called Ruger and asked them. They don't have none right now, but they are scheduled to produce more. They could not give me a production date, so I can't help you there, but at least they are scheduled to have another run at some point, so if you don't need one right now you can wait a while and probably get a better price. Good luck

57 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

My theory is Smith and Ruger are probably still prioritizing their manufacturing to crack out the thousands of semis they can sell quickly rather than the few 8 bangers for those of us crazy enough to run ‘em. I can’t fault them, it seems to be a solid business decision that I would have made if I were in their position.

This is my guess too. I bet the margins are way higher on a Security-9, say, than a fancy revolver: no parts that require hand-fitting, probably way fewer warranty claims...

20 minutes ago, RJH said:

They don't have none right now, but they are scheduled to produce more. They could not give me a production date, so I can't help you there, but at least they are scheduled to have another run at some point, so if you don't need one right now you can wait a while and probably get a better price. Good luck

Thanks for doing the leg work! I was planning on hassling some poor Ruger rep at Nationals, but it's good to know they haven't forgotten us.

4 minutes ago, revoman said:

I thought the first runs were only a hundred of each. 

I was a little off on the total count. The serial numbers on the Custom Shop guns are purely sequential, and stop at 959 for the .357 SGP, and 200 for the 9mm SGP.

Edited by Fishbreath

3 hours ago, mikeAZ said:

I meant that as a "ray" of hope...Could be manna from heaven?... $1849.00 is to much...

When I bought my .357 Super GP, the MSRP was $1549 and the street price was $1100 or so. I'd expect a pretty steep discount off the price on Ruger's website.

Last Super GP 100 .357 sold on GB FOR $1945.00 😳 seems like the they are going the way of the first run of S&W 627 6 1/2". I sold one for $2500 and it is a good thing I had 3 of them and I still have 2 of them.

• 5 months later...

I heard from several Ruger-affiliated sources at the IRC that we should expect to see more Super GP100s this winter/next spring: they're in the process of spinning the line back up. Apparently, the bean counters didn't believe the demand would be there back during the first run.

Yup, Expected 01/2023 @ Midway guns.. Put in Ruger # 5065 which is the 357 version... I wrote them ...why not 9mm?, you would sell more 9mm than .357's... Never heard back from them..   Jay identified mine as a new 2020 made..... I'd guess they had a few "Just in case" sitting around. Took 6 mos' plus to get it. Mike

• 1 month later...

I'm a little concerned to see that Ruger has scrubbed mention of the 9mm Super GP from their website—the page for model 5066 goes to a 404.

I find it a little hard to believe they're ditching the 8rd/9mm revolver world entirely, so I'm holding out hope they'll announce a second generation gun at SHOT.