Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Max issue/ question

lilbeauxdawg

Little bit of back ground, firearm only has a armory craft dual adjustable trigger and gray guns guide rod added to it and functioned well besides a few stovepipes.  Installed a new 13 lb recoil spring to try and fix the stovepipe, after installing the new spring the trigger seems to go to a half reset/ weak reset and would not activate the striker.  Put the 15 lb spring back in it and same trigger condition, after fooling with it for a while I activated the slide stop and everything started to function fine, the trigger has a positive reset and is activating the striker.  I did notice that I can watch the back of the slide lower while pulling the trigger (only about 1 mm) and now it is very difficult to turn the slide pin to the unlock position in order to remove the slide.  Any suggestions? Is it normal to have to active the slide stop after reassembly as well?

Thanks

LilB

Did you take out too much pretravel & overtravel with the trigger? That will cause reset issues. I have a feeling this is the case.

Have you tried the factory guide rod to see if its the gray guns rod causing issues?

With disassembly:

1) Lock slide back

2) Turn takedown lever

3) release slide

With reassembly:

1) Put slide on and lock slide back

2) turn lever to forward position

3) release slide

4) function check

Also, the slide will move without a magazine in it. The movement goes away once a magazine is inserted. Its due to the design of the FCU.

Also, due to the fat rod thickness, it can interfere with taking the slide apart making it hard to turn the lever.

Edited by mrvip27

11 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Did you take out too much pretravel & overtravel with the trigger? That will cause reset issues. I have a feeling this is the case.

Have you tried the factory guide rod to see if its the gray guns rod causing issues?

With disassembly:

1) Lock slide back

2) Turn takedown lever

3) release slide

With reassembly:

1) Put slide on and lock slide back

2) turn lever to forward position

3) release slide

4) function check

Also, the slide will move without a magazine in it. The movement goes away once a magazine is inserted. Its due to the design of the FCU.

Also, due to the fat rod thickness, it can interfere with taking the slide apart making it hard to turn the lever.

I also think that the problem may be the AC set screw adjustments are not giving the trigger enough travel to reliably activate the sear.

I'd also consider returning the gun to it's original condition and then just add one modification at a time.

Edited by ddc

15 hours ago, lilbeauxdawg said:

Little bit of back ground, firearm only has a armory craft dual adjustable trigger and gray guns guide rod added to it and functioned well besides a few stovepipes.  Installed a new 13 lb recoil spring to try and fix the stovepipe, after installing the new spring the trigger seems to go to a half reset/ weak reset and would not activate the striker.  Put the 15 lb spring back in it and same trigger condition, after fooling with it for a while I activated the slide stop and everything started to function fine, the trigger has a positive reset and is activating the striker.  I did notice that I can watch the back of the slide lower while pulling the trigger (only about 1 mm) and now it is very difficult to turn the slide pin to the unlock position in order to remove the slide.  Any suggestions? Is it normal to have to active the slide stop after reassembly as well?

Thanks

LilB

My understanding is that a stronger recoil spring is going to naturally make the TDL a bit harder to rotate as it's pushing the head of the guide rod against the TDL.  IMO, the GG guide rod itself is no issue.

The rear of the slide lowering is normal and a product of the system......

I would first remove both set screws from the AC trigger and function test it again.  Sounds to me that you've removed a bit too much pre-travel and over travel.

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

15 hours ago, lilbeauxdawg said:

Thanks

LilB

Another thought.............the MAX only comes with 12# and 14# RC springs.  Have tested factory ammo up to 147PF and never needed anything stronger than a 14# spring for perfect function and ejection.

:)

Thank you for the info guys, a couple of things. I did fire the gun this morning, roughly 300 rounds with no problem from the trigger, my main concern is that it might act up during a match, which I will probably reloctite the set screws on the Armory Craft trigger.  The trigger probably has about 1000 rounds on it with no problem before and I just added the gray guns guide rod and at the first match with it, I had some stove pipes as I was using the 15lb spring it came with which led me to want to try a 14lb spring.

7 hours ago, lilbeauxdawg said:

Thank you for the info guys, a couple of things. I did fire the gun this morning, roughly 300 rounds with no problem from the trigger, my main concern is that it might act up during a match, which I will probably reloctite the set screws on the Armory Craft trigger.  The trigger probably has about 1000 rounds on it with no problem before and I just added the gray guns guide rod and at the first match with it, I had some stove pipes as I was using the 15lb spring it came with which led me to want to try a 14lb spring.

The fcu has a mechanism that prevents taking the gun apart with a magazine inserted. Sometime when you reassemble you need to push up on the slide stop to deactivate this safety. Sounds like it’s functioning normally. 

7 hours ago, lilbeauxdawg said:

From the GG website:

* Our P320-F (Full-Size) and P320 X-Five (Full Size) guide rods include a 15 pound 1911 recoil spring

Guide rods are not caliber specific. Use the appropriate recoil spring for your caliber.

I still think the 15# spring may have been too heavy for the specific load you use in competition......

Here's a good option for finding the right 1911 style spring for your competition load:

https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/1911-recoil-spring-calibration-kit-p/1911-recoil-spring-calibration.htm

Make sure the trigger's set screws are correctly set for trouble free operation!  

👍