Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA RO 9mm main spring/recoil spring for 100gr ~109pf loads

BRadcliffe

I recently entered into the 1911 world with a Springfield Range Officer Target in 9mm. I plan on going with an EGW ignition kit and not sure which main spring to go with. I will be shooting almost exclusively Atlanta Arms 100gr/1090fps loads in steel challenge.

So the question is do I go with the 17 or 19 lb main spring?

What about recoil spring for something this low? The Wilson Combat site is showing 115-120pf for a 8lb spring, so do I go down to 7?

With 109 PF loads you will end up using a 7 or 8lb. recoil spring.  It really depends on the gun.  If it is a new gun, probably a 7 until it wears in a little.  Your choice on 17 or 19 lb. mainsprings.  I use both, because it is part of the tuning process.    I also use an 18.  For now, just pick one and use it.

I run 17lb mainspring and a 10lb recoil in mine. I can go down to a 9lb. Problem comes when shooting certain magazines. My Dawson mags, when fully loaded, are hard to strip out the first 3-4 rounds outside of the gun. So when testing what recoil spring to use, always test with fully loaded mags, to make sure there's enough force to properly strip and feed the first round or two.

• 3 weeks later...

I was beating my head against the wall with this thing. It wasn't going in battery most of the time....until I checked this with a plunk test. Apparently the SA barrels can be tight. 5/50 rounds from a box actually fit.

So my new question is are the KKM barrels drop in or require fitting? Are their chambers decent? I have them in glocks and work great, the "big" rounds fit no problem.

Or option two - Does anyone know someone in the Atlanta area that can ream this factory barrel?

20220512_154450.jpg

I was always under the impression that KKM barrels have very tight chambers. I had for a Glock once many years ago, but too many problems with the tight chambers.

And as far as the SA barrels, never had any problem with the two Range Officer guns I have, one in 9mm, one in 45. If factory rounds aren't seating, there's a defect with the barrel, and you should send the gun back to Springfield.

Edited by Postal Bob