Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G37

DT Guy

I might be in the minority, but I think Glock's idea of putting 45 acp ballistics into a G17 sized frame has lots of potential. I have small hands, and could never shoot a G21, but really enjoy my G35.

The question I find myself asking, though, is this: How will IDPA and Bill Wilson treat the new cartridge? If it really offers 45 acp ballistics, it seems the new G37 should be welcomed into CDP, right?

With that said, I wonder how Wilson and Co. will take to sharing 'their' class in that way?

Larry

I'm kinda excited about it.  My hands are too small for the large-framed Glocks too.  Anybody know when the 37 will be released for public sale?  Also, can the 45 Glock brass be made by cutting down 45 ACP cases?

The rules could change but right now the rulebook reads "Handguns permitted for the CUSTOM DEFENSIVE PISTOL division must be .45 ACP caliber and meet the following criteria:"  Since the new Glock 37 is .45 Glock and not .45 ACP it doesn't seem to meet the criteria of CDP as written.

However I agree that if this new cartridge is a true .45 caliber cartridge that matches the .45 ACP ballistically that it should be eligible to CDP.

"Wilson whining" is a pet peeve of mine on the soap box I go.  The CDP class is far from Wilson's Combat's class.  Wilson guns are a small minority in CDP.  The only thing Wilson I see regularly are magazines, and Chip McCormick is cutting into that market as well.  IDPA really helped Glock, Kimber, Springfield Armory, and Berreta.  They were selling much fewer units to the IPSC crowd.

I don't shoot .45ACP or IDPA. Has over penetration ever been considered a problem with .45ACP? If so I could see Glock's approach for a more "PC" police sidearm or a cockpit defense weapon. Wait. I get it now.It's a plot to dominate USPSA Limited 10. :)

• 1 month later...

It's not an over-penetration issue. Glock wanted to find a way to make a .45 caliber bullet work in a G17/G22/G31 frame and provide 10+1 capacity. The answer was to shorten the casing of a .45ACP and use 200-gr and 185-gr bullets offering the same or better performance than their .45ACP cousins. I not only welcome the .45Glock on a G17 platform, but have also ordered one with my GSSF pistol certificate. Hope to see delivery about May 1. ;)

P.S. I expect Sig to be the first "other" manufacturer to offer a pistol in .45Glock

Hi guys, The official specs in the factory brochure for the new .45 Glock round are:

Length overall: 28.9mm or 1.10 inches (bad conversion?)

Diameter of bullet: 11.5mm or 0.43 inches (bad conversion?)

Diameter of case rim: 12mm or 0.47 inches (bad conversion?)

The official literature also provides the following information about factory rounds (which are presumably made by Speer because they're referred to as "FMJ/Gold Dot"):

185 grain ..... 1,100 fps ..... 497 foot/lbs

200 grain ..... 984 fps ..... 431 foot/lbs

The Glock 37 pistol has the same specs as a G17 except the unloaded weight is slightly heavier at 629 grams (G17 is 625 grams).

Hi Danny,

Yes, 11.5mm is indeed 0.4523 inches however in the Glock 37 brochure, it shows "11.5mm / 0.43 inches", which is why I added "(bad conversion?)" to my earlier post.

I'm double-checking with the Glock factory and will revert.

11.5mm = .452755905511811023622047244094488 inches. Definitely a bad conversion... hopefully it's just in the brochure, they'd have problems with the ammo if they give that dimension to ammo manufacturers. :blink:

As of my last conversation with friends in the land of Glock, the cartridge was "still subject to change". The only concern I have is that they do make it .452 so existing projectiles can be used. As Danny mentioned May is the target date for the 37, I hope it makes it. I've had one ordered since I spoke to Chris E about them at the Shot Show.

A small frame with the big hole should be great, especially in GSSF. :D

Hi guys,

Here's a message I received today from Glock:

"With regards to your e-mail of March 20th, 2003 we regret to have to inform you that the GLOCK 37 brochure contains a typo indeed. The diameter of the bullet is in fact 11.43 mm/0.45 inches as you remarked. Corrections will be made acordingly. We thank you for drawing our attention to this problem!".

Mystery solved!

".....(which are presumably made by Speer because they're referred to as "FMJ/Gold Dot"):"

This cartridge was developed in conjunction with Speer.

FWIW, the 185 gr. is a Gold Dot loading but the 200 gr. is a FMJ flat-nose.

Would be very surprised to see this pistol available

before June.