Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Best Training Tool?

MuffintopMarksman

For many that have shown more of an interest in revolvers at my local matches, it seems the “flow” of executing a stage flawlessly with a wheel gun is different somehow; they can’t put their finger on it, but something about it is mesmerizing. When it’s done right, it’s just…. “Woah”.

The tougher/more frequent reloads, fighting the balance point of the gun, the more taxing trigger: these things can turn many away from revolvers. But, showing the positive effect proficiency with one can have on your Limited ranking or Carry Optics proficiency seems to incite more interest. How the fundamentals must be so much closer to perfect for it to work well can be attractive to those looking to pursue a higher grade of skill. To me, a revolver has proven to be the single most challenging and rewarding training tool. 

I’ve found more shooters interested in wheel gun usage when presenting it this way. Have other revolver shooters found this to be the case? Have you converted a person or two in your local group? How?

I haven't converted anyone yet (although I have a spare gun this year, and should be able to let people borrow it at locals; even more so once I have two 9mm guns and won't need to schlep .38 Short along too), but I have had people comment on how much better I've gotten with semi-autos when I play in those divisions. ("I won't mind when you go back to revolver," one said, after I burned down a stage.)

I should give your approach a try!

I’ve shot several Revo matches as well as some steel challenge Revo Optics after I spent a few years watching 2 club members have Revo fun at our matches.  Stage planning,  huge!!  Another issue,  if you go back to semi auto and run a Revo 1 time a season it’s like starting over,  but still allot of fun.  If there was a Revo Optic option other than Open, I’d run it all the time!!

Ive found that getting good with revo and hitting M has made my gun handling overall improve significantly. I haven't converted anyone fully but one guy in my area got a revo rig set up and un-frequently shoots it now. There used to be 1 revo, now 2 and sometimes 3 match/stages depending. 

49 minutes ago, DDave said:

Ive found that getting good with revo and hitting M has made my gun handling overall improve significantly. I haven't converted anyone fully but one guy in my area got a revo rig set up and un-frequently shoots it now. There used to be 1 revo, now 2 and sometimes 3 match/stages depending. 

Same.  Especially weak hand, it took a lot of practice to get decent with a revo.  Shooting a 2011 weak hand is a breeze. I don't have an issue going back and forth to be honest, other than the tendonitis flares up worse on the revo.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:40 AM, NoSteel said:

I’ve shot several Revo matches as well as some steel challenge Revo Optics after I spent a few years watching 2 club members have Revo fun at our matches.  Stage planning,  huge!!  Another issue,  if you go back to semi auto and run a Revo 1 time a season it’s like starting over,  but still allot of fun.  If there was a Revo Optic option other than Open, I’d run it all the time!!

Definitely felt the “starting over” bit a couple days ago. Went to an evening “practice match” and had the reloads go well and the first stage was decent but ran into some light primer strikes that quickly took the joy out of the challenge. (Got probably the highest compliment an auto shooter can give a revolver shooter - “That was actually almost fast” 😂)

On 3/14/2022 at 11:40 AM, NoSteel said:

Me, too!

On 3/25/2022 at 12:43 PM, DDave said:

I doubt I will ever win a match as revo, but I've never been last at a match either. I have had some people visibly mad they lost to a revo so its worth it in the end 🤣

That is a pretty satisfying feeling, especially when it’s a PCC guy 😂 I’ve never won one either but I did almost break the top five at our local match a few years back - just had a couple Mikes holding me back. Probably the most satisfied I’ve ever felt shooting. Despite dealing with every possible handicap, the fundamentals and good stage planning pulled through. Something I look back on often as a motivator for other classes.

3 hours ago, MuffintopMarksman said:

That is a pretty satisfying feeling, especially when it’s a PCC guy 😂 I’ve never won one either but I did almost break the top five at our local match a few years back - just had a couple Mikes holding me back. Probably the most satisfied I’ve ever felt shooting. Despite dealing with every possible handicap, the fundamentals and good stage planning pulled through. Something I look back on often as a motivator for other classes.

Never came close to top in a match but I did take a classifier stage in NY.  Having 8 rounds in a 10rnd state on a simple Classifier helps even the field😂

Did a local IDPA 5x5 Classifier recently https://practiscore.com/results/new/3388b11a-4f47-454e-8731-fba40079dbfc 1st (by 1.7 seconds) of 27 with my 325 TR & major PF loads!  Surprised even me.

But it's not cool to rub it in, unless provoked.

In USPSA it's quite a bit tougher though, even if given time to reload in a field course there is still so much more time needed with a Revolver.

Did a USPSA classifier many years ago and beat a buddy, GM Open and placed very high at many nationals, on one of the quick 6 shot classifiers.  I did have to rub that in, just a little!

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Did a local IDPA 5x5 Classifier recently https://practiscore.com/results/new/3388b11a-4f47-454e-8731-fba40079dbfc 1st (by 1.7 seconds) of 27 with my 325 TR & major PF loads!  Surprised even me.

But it's not cool to rub it in, unless provoked.

In USPSA it's quite a bit tougher though, even if given time to reload in a field course there is still so much more time needed with a Revolver.

Did a USPSA classifier many years ago and beat a buddy, GM Open and placed very high at many nationals, on one of the quick 6 shot classifiers.  I did have to rub that in, just a little!

Awesome on that Classifier! Though certainly not polite to make the Open shooters feel bad….but sometimes it can’t be help 😂 I think the difficulty is part of the fun; just wish more people saw that so the division could grow a tad. 

I did have a couple folks this past week ask me where my revolver was when I was shooting Limited. Seems they might be converted just yet!

Thanks for chiming in!