Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38sc minor data needed

xjwalt666

I've done a bunch of searching and haven't come across too much on this. Does anyone have any good starting points for 38sc minor load data? I have silhouette, hs6, and autocomp on hand and will be getting some AA #7 later this week. Will just be for ringing steel and falling steel. Would like to stick with 124gr bullets as that's what I have on hand. Any help would be appreciated. 

Also I know this gun worked really well with Atlanta Arms 38sc minor ammo so if anyone has an idea what they use for a load that would be helpful as well. 

Edited by xjwalt666

4.6 grains of HP38 / Win 231 will be a good starting point….the powders you have listed are all on the slow side and better suited to major. Powders like HP38/ Win 231, VV320, Win WST and Sport Pistol are faster and better suited to the light loads used in minor. Checkout the Forum for 38 Super Bianchi loads, lots of good info…….HS6 may be the most useful of your inventory if you don’t want to buy new stuff. Someone will chime in with a load shortly…

7 hours ago, Service Desk said:

4.6 grains of HP38 / Win 231 will be a good starting point….the powders you have listed are all on the slow side and better suited to major. Powders like HP38/ Win 231, VV320, Win WST and Sport Pistol are faster and better suited to the light loads used in minor. Checkout the Forum for 38 Super Bianchi loads, lots of good info…….HS6 may be the most useful of your inventory if you don’t want to buy new stuff. Someone will chime in with a load shortly…

Thanks for your input. N320 was recommended also and I ended up finding some of that and 3n38 for my other gun yesterday afternoon. I have plenty of 231 as well. The minor loads are for a 38sc with a tribrid barrel that my 10 year old is going to start shooting this year. 

Walt, 

If you get a copy of uspsa it'll show that n320, titegroup, are the top ones for minor. wst and 231 are good for that as well. As for n320 in my own opinion it's ok it a powder but I can do the same w 231, wst or no2

I got titegroup btw if you want to try a pound. 

Squirrel

15 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Walt, 

If you get a copy of uspsa it'll show that n320, titegroup, are the top ones for minor. wst and 231 are good for that as well. As for n320 in my own opinion it's ok it a powder but I can do the same w 231, wst or no2

I got titegroup btw if you want to try a pound. 

Squirrel

Thanks Squirrel. Good to know. I've got plenty of titegroup and 231. I'll give those a try as well and see how I make out. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Titegroup is always dirty for me.

I've never been a fan of titegroup. I have about 8lbs or so of it and haven't even opened it yet. It's nice that a little goes a long way but too smokey and dirty for me.