Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 thumb safety issue

Bakerjd

I'm left handed. I've tried EGW, Limcat (currently in use), Atlas and CK shielded thumb safetys. All of them pinch the fatty part of my left hand. The little space between the bottom ofnthe safety and the cut out of the frame is where it gets pinched. It's a Cheely XWF frame. I am wondering if the PT ambi safety would maybe work better? Or if someone has had this issue and figured out a fix.

• 1 month later...

Have you tried the shielded ambi safeties?

I had an Atlas XWF Prototype (Righty). It had the AGW normal ambi thumb safety, I later had Atlas fit it with the wide left/normal right shielded ambi safety.   Never had an issue with my large hands. 

• 9 months later...
On 2/27/2022 at 8:13 AM, Bakerjd said:

I'm left handed. I've tried EGW, Limcat (currently in use), Atlas and CK shielded thumb safetys. All of them pinch the fatty part of my left hand. The little space between the bottom ofnthe safety and the cut out of the frame is where it gets pinched. It's a Cheely XWF frame. I am wondering if the PT ambi safety would maybe work better? Or if someone has had this issue and figured out a fix.

I just changed my safety to an EGW and it pinches me as well. I'm going to take a dremel to it and let you know if it worked. Will post some pics as well. 

You're saying it gets pinched in the small opening in the frame that's visible when the safety is in the up position?  If that's the case, you might try adding material to the flat part on the safety so that it covers the opening.  If it's a bar stock piece, you can MiG or TiG weld it to build up the area, then shape and dress as necessary.  Might look kinda weird, but would be easy to do and should solve the problem.

IMG_4008.jpg

1/4" inboard of where your pencil tip is.  The bottom belly of the safety swinging down to the ledge there creates the pinch point for me.  Beveling and polishing that surface on the safety pushes the skin out of the way instead of pinching it between two flat surfaces.