Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Pressure Test Rounds Load Data?

PTP

Howdy, I'm wondering if anyone has some specific load data for getting a specific pressure high-pressure loads on 9mm. 

The actual performance of the round doesn't really matter, this is purely for stress testing in a controlled and secure environment.  I'd like to reliably make rounds that can at least semi-accurately step-up to the proofing test pressure of 47000psi; but as no official data really goes above +P I figured maybe someone here would have their own.

Also, if someone actually knows the proper equations to estimate pressures that would be incredible.  While testing is done with practical instruments for obvious reasons, I assume there must be some roughly accurate calculus out there.

Appreciate any and all assistance, thank you. 

I'm not affiliated or connected with this product at all but you could try Quickload (See below). I have read about multiple people on here and other sources that have used this software for development purposes and most of the reviews I heard about it were great. Maybe this could be a starting point but from what I understand, you will need some very specific hardware to do pressure testing accurately. I know you stated roughly accurate but when you are dealing with pressures that high, being "rough" with the estimates could be very costly. Good luck!

https://quickload.co.uk/products/

And welcome to the forum!

Edited by gng4life

Have you read through this

once you do you wil find that there are "book" loads that make major. There are places to send ammo to be tested.

There are common loads a lot of people use.    First hand knowledge Computer program did not work . Several loads it said were safe were not.

Loads it said weren't safe were.

So your trying to load your own proof loads? I think even the large factories purchase them because they are certified. Trying to extrapolate that consistently without psi testing equipment would be a crapshoot. I think Oehler used to make psi trace equipment for home use but don’t know if they still do. I wouldn’t trust just computer guessing mainly because there’s too many variables and burn rates aren’t linear with standard canister powders. They will detonate at a certain point.  

Edited by Farmer

My personal experience with Quickload is that the software is very accurate, in some cases matching reloading manuals/data and in the other cases not being too far off. That is with "reasonable" loads however.

Go beyond "normal" charges or below certain OAL's it becomes a crapshoot very quickly, I would not rely on software to come up with a "proof" load.

Thanks for the replies everyone, we were a bit stuck but this gives us some solid threads to follow!

This is extremely rough testing, and honestly we're trying to see where things break.  Ideally we're trying to see of the system can handle most any market available ammunition, if I can overshoot +p+ and not expload then I'll call that a sucess.