Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I finally got my Glock 34 Open gun out and classified for Steel Challenge.

Snoopy47

I nearly had a flawless run without malfunctions, but into the first two stages I had FTE's. On the first stage I was able to throw out the worst run, but the second stage it happened twice in two different runs and cost me a respectable score. All in all I had better ammo, and switched out the remainder of the match. I still had enough stages to push the worst one out of my classifier rating. So it didn't actually impact my overall Classification. 

I was disappointed not to get "B". I did have one stage at 63%, and was hopeful, but the remainder of them were 58-59, and one 63 wasn't going to shoulder the rest. Plus it was the first match of this kind for the gun, and my presentation on the first shot needs a lot a work and slow repetitions of what is "right". 

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51325117883_3ebf1ef585_c.jpg[/img]

I think those three mishaps were just not QC'd rounds. After those screwed me on two stages I tapped into my box I was saving for a bigger match (I'll just have to make more). I had originally started with 1.16 OAL pushing the limits of the magazine size, and also used cheap S&B primers. I also didn't case gauge check the finished product. I also didn't individually weigh each charge (I just let the progressive hopper do it's thing). 

Since I'm not really using this gun in USPSA I've backed off on the load and my pet load is 155PF. I've also figured I can probably bring in the OAL a little down to 1.14 as well since I'm not pushing Major. Then, with the few Federal Primers I have, and then case gauge checking every single round I've not had problems with any of those productions. 

I'm most encourage because I "CAN" shot at the MASTER level. I have individual runs that do it. Just not 4 of them back to back at a single stage, and then not across all stages. Little by little I guess. 

13 hours ago, dapribek said:

With your FTEs, do you think you should replace your extractor? I’ve replaced mine with the Apex models and have had no issues. Just a thought. 

I was thinking about that. 

I'm very cheap on my brass. So I thought it might be the rim wear from too many uses. I would typically blame it on light charge throws, but I designed this load at 5.2gn N350 and then bumped it up to 5.4gn when I load with a progressive hopper to ensure it stays above 5.2 if it throws light. 

There's also a possibility I'm limp wristing it. My grip while in competition mode from the draw is far from my testing grip at the range just picking it up off the range table. 

I think 145~155 PF is the perfect range for Open with a comp in SCSA.  I use 3N38 (because I have it) under 124 JHPs (because I have them too).  N350 is fine also.  I run 115 JHPs over SWMP for USPSA major.

I am not a fan of heavy bullets for SCSA, especially if using a comp.  If you are using a comp you want to 'work' it.  That means lots of powder and gas.  Even without a comp I prefer 115s or 124s.  I'd just use a fast powder like e3, Sport Pistol or N320.  I can't stand Titegroup.

9 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Try this combo

Lone Wolf Gen 4 30274 Ejector

Apha Wolf Extractor

I tried the Apex in my G17 G3 Open Pistol, as well as several other G3 pistols. It kinda helped, but didn't solve the problem.

The Lone Wolf combo solved all my problems in my G17 Open pistol.

I shoot 115gr JHP major BTW.

thats the combo I run in mine, zero issues  nice parts !

My steel load is berrys 100gr at 1200 fps.....  3.8-3.9 of N310 depending on the gun, comp or not thats the load for steel 

Hello, damn I must have read it wrong, I thought he was shooting a Glock 35. Ok if you want a sweet 9mm load for steel get some 95 grain 380 bullets and some faster powders like I listed above. 140PF makes the pistol run fast and with that light bullet it recoils lighter than a 22. Most of the top open steel shooters are using 115 grain bullets at around 120-125PF with a powder like Winchester Auto Comp. Sorry for the mix up. Thanks, Eric

Lots of good loads to try. I do have quit a bit of powders and projectiles to choose from. I've mixed and matched just about everything. 

I'm finding how I hold the gun really drives how the load feels in my hand. As well, just testing a load at a range lane doesn't do it justice to actually running the load in an open stage. I don't know why, but it just doesn't seem it was what I tested (even when I'm using loads from the same batch). I suspect it's the static range lane with the cinder block lane walls and my from the bench death grip verses out in the open on a stage surrounded by nothing and a grip from the draw. 

• 1 month later...