Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking out loud about PCC Compensators. Thoughts?

I have run a compensator on my PCCs for years.

I was considering removing compensators from my PCCs.

Why?

I wonder if there is even enough gas at the muzzle to drive the compensator.

If this is the case (note that I am not sure and looking for comment), then what does the compensator do for you?  Collecting carbon degrading accuracy?  Making my rifle a little longer and adding weight to the muzzle?

I was thinking of moving to a 16.1 inch barrel with just a thread protector on the muzzle.

Am I incorrect in my thinking?  Is there any evidence that a 9mm generates enough gas at the muzzle to drive a comp?

Whether a comp works well or not depends on your load.  There are ways to minimize dot bounce without a comp, but easier with one.  It requires experimentation.  First you tune your buffer, spring, and SS adapter to minimize dot bounce for your current load.  Then you try slower and slower powders to get the comp working better.  It is a lot of work.

Or, you could take the easy way out.  Just make 135-140PF loads and tune you buffer, etc. for zero dot bounce.  Then just put up with the recoil.

When I was messing with Comp tuning on my MPX at the beginning I found anything heavier then 115 there wasn't really a reason to run a comp or not on a 16inch barrel. on the shorter guns such as the 8 inch barrel and 4 inch barrel I believed the Comps did help out with 124 and 135gr bullets, but overall the shorter guns were more jumpy in movement compared to the 16inch guns. AVG power facter I was running with all loads was about 135-140pf.