Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mk7 Power Trim Xpress available

I just got an email saying the Power Trim Xpress is available. I tried to order online but failed as it did not like my zip.....which is odd as I was logged in and my zip has not changed. I called and ordered one over the phone.

25 minutes ago, erwos said:

I always order over the phone with them, ha. What caliber and trim die are you planning on using it with?

This is what I ordered including the trimmer:

Trim Die - 223

Product Type: Lyman Pro - Trim Die

33 minutes ago, quiller said:

This is what I ordered including the trimmer: 

Trim Die - 223

Product Type: Lyman Pro - Trim Die

Let me know how it goes. I need to get a trimmer set up for 300 BLK, and I could be persuaded to go with this solution if it can really do a single die cut-down of 223 brass... doubly so if I can reuse the control box and buy separate trimmers for other toolheads.

4 minutes ago, erwos said:

Let me know how it goes. I need to get a trimmer set up for 300 BLK, and I could be persuaded to go with this solution if it can really do a single die cut-down of 223 brass... doubly so if I can reuse the control box and buy separate trimmers for other toolheads.

I started talking to Misty about one pass .223 on my Evo almost 3 years ago. I was on the fence about getting the Bosch trimmer but held off. The email came in this am so I jumped on it. I really hope it was a good jump. I’m still setting up a second tool head for .223 but whenever I get it going I’ll report back.

At some point I might set up for 300 also, but I don’t own one so that’s a ways out. 

Having said that someone had to have beta tested this trimmer and now that it’s live perhaps they will chime in. 

Man, this came about 3 months too late for me. I'm setting up for a small Makita router and 3d printed adapter. This trimmer was supposed to be released last year and after 6 months of trying to get ahold of them asking of a release date I gave up.

7 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Man, this came about 3 months too late for me. I'm setting up for a small Makita router and 3d printed adapter. This trimmer was supposed to be released last year and after 6 months of trying to get ahold of them asking of a release date I gave up.

I was looking at a 3D printer option also, I hope yours works out. I bought my Evo very early in the process and used to talk/email with Misty on a fairly regular basis about the trimmer. It's seems harder to get someone on the phone now and I'm not sure if that happened because of Lyman or Rona or both! In any event I don't think Misty is working there any more and I do miss that connection. I need to crank out a bunch of 9 first, then start playing with .223. We'll see how it goes.

Just now, SJBriggs said:

Would the Primer Express alleviate any of the priming issues that everyone seems to be having with the Apex 10?

I think you posted in the wrong thread. This one is about the trimmer (Trim Xpress), not the Primer Express.

30 minutes ago, SJBriggs said:

Would the Primer Express alleviate any of the priming issues that everyone seems to be having with the Apex 10?

Wrong thread, but the answer is no. The issue is the disc system, and how susceptible it is to debris getting into it.  When it's clean, it works fine. If you get a little bit of a shaved primer in there, it can cause issues. Ditto if your primer gets malformed from an improperly swaged case (time to increase the swage again...).

4 hours ago, erwos said:

Wrong thread, but the answer is no. The issue is the disc system, and how susceptible it is to debris getting into it.  When it's clean, it works fine. If you get a little bit of a shaved primer in there, it can cause issues. Ditto if your primer gets malformed from an improperly swaged case (time to increase the swage again...).

Yup, wrong thread! Thank you for answering anyways.

On 2/2/2022 at 6:53 AM, quiller said:

I was looking at a 3D printer option also, I hope yours works out. I bought my Evo very early in the process and used to talk/email with Misty on a fairly regular basis about the trimmer. It's seems harder to get someone on the phone now and I'm not sure if that happened because of Lyman or Rona or both! In any event I don't think Misty is working there any more and I do miss that connection. I need to crank out a bunch of 9 first, then start playing with .223. We'll see how it goes.

It's two weeks later... what's the good word?

I emailed Mk7 the other day as my card was dinged for the trimmer, but I did not receive a shipping email. Here’s the word directly from the horse’s mouth:

“They are going through QC now and will ship by next week.”

I’m not sure if I like that response or not. One would think if Mk7 is selling them, that the QC period is already over. However, we are living in interesting time so I’ll play along.

• 1 month later...

I ordered one of these from Brownells, and it is supposedly coming on Wednesday. I am not thrilled about the use of a milling bit rather than a cutter, but we'll see if it's problematic.

27 minutes ago, erwos said:

I ordered one of these from Brownells, and it is supposedly coming on Wednesday. I am not thrilled about the use of a milling bit rather than a cutter, but we'll see if it's problematic.

I don't see it on Brownells, you got a link? However, I think I need to email Mk7 again....still waiting on mine. Ordered it on Feb 1, 2022 from Mk7's web site....and yes it said it was in stock. Got a "there going through QC" on Feb 10th but noting since. 

Not that I'm counting but its 6 weeks and 6 days since my order went in.

Got this from Mk7:

Good morning. Thanks for your email.

We are still on backorder for 3-4 weeks.

Please don‘t hesitate to reach out again though.

19 hours ago, quiller said:

I don't see it on Brownells, you got a link? However, I think I need to email Mk7 again....still waiting on mine. Ordered it on Feb 1, 2022 from Mk7's web site....and yes it said it was in stock. Got a "there going through QC" on Feb 10th but noting since. 

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/productdetail.aspx?sid=257133&pid=141178

I guess we'll see what I get in the mail, but it looks correct.

Alright, I finally had a chance to open up mine after I got it on Wednesday. I took it out to do a basic smoke test, but have not trimmed any cases yet.

First impressions:

1. It's boxed up pretty well.

2. The power supply unit is comically huge, but it's actively cooled. There is a switch on the back to turn off the PSU, and a switch on the front to turn off the trimmer.

3. The trimmer is also actively cooled on top.

4. The trimmer, even on max, does not seem particularly loud.

5. Build quality seems good. Looks a lot like a production-ized Honey Badger, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

6. It's easy enough to pull out the cables going from the trimmer to the PSU. I have emailed Mark7 to see if we can just buyer more trimmers+adapters+millbits (sans PSU) and save money if we want to keep trimmers on toolheads.

All in all, it's looking promising. But, of course, the real test will be actually trimming cases.

Edited by erwos

On 3/25/2022 at 6:15 PM, quiller said:

Nice, thanks for the update. I figured the power supply was rather large looking at the photos and videos online. Ping when you get it on your press. Cheers 

Will do. I found I had a whole second bag of prepped 5.56 brass, so unless I do a 300BLK run (possible!), I doubt I'm going to be using it soon.