Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timney Alpha trigger

Hammerman

Looks like Timney just released a trigger for the M&P's!!  To me it looks pretty good.  I especially like that it doesn't use the Glock style safety lever in the trigger.  Maybe we have a new winner.  So who's going to try it out first?

Have 3 M&Ps. all w Apex trigger components and all serve as home/self defense as well as competition firearms. All already at less than 4lbs and short reset, so will pass.

No doubt this will be a great competition trigger but just too light for my needs.

Am impressed there is no need for replacement of springs, but then again factory springs keep the Apex trigger pull lower than what is achieved w Apex springs.

Price is less than Apex, so there is that.

Mark

I wish this had been available about 6 or 8 months ago.  I have a 5" M&P9 2.0 CORE that has an Apex DCAEK in it with the OEM springs and the trigger pull is about 3 to 3-1/2 pounds.  I also have a newer 4" M&P9 Compact OR with the same Apex parts and the trigger pull is about 4 pounds.   If the Timney had been available when I bought the Compact, I probably would have tried it but I'm not going to spend $150 to replace the Apex parts which work very well.

So after all the research I did about how Glock triggers and other striker fired triggers work, Timney basically made the Glock trigger act like the M&P's, Sig, etc. by using a sear and having the striker pretty much all the way cocked.  Therefore, I don't think the gains will be there like the Glock trigger but I would still like to try it if nothing more than getting a better shape and safety on the trigger.  I like it better than having the little safety lever in the middle.  It will be interesting to see how the different combinations between the other triggers and this one work out.  Maybe the forward set apex trigger with the Timney sear etc.  You could probably get below a 1 lb trigger like Johnny Glock did with the Glock and still be safe??  All of my competition 1911's run 2lb triggers and that is light enough for me.  I'm going to order one.  

^Good on you.

That is correct, the Timney eliminated the "trigger spring" that helped pull the trigger in Glocks; so equipped they are fully cocked just like you say (by virtue of a torsion spring).  Best thing that ever happened to Glock owners.

You guys get this perfected and let me know which combination works best so I can get a M&P!!!. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just put mine in yesterday.  It's on an M&P 5" pro 2.0 CORE.  I left the factory plunger in because it looked like it had a smoother radius than the Timney plunger.  The trigger breaks at 90 degrees and feels really nice.  No creep, just a nice 2 1/8 lb break.  Just right for a competition gun.  It does break forward of the original trigger.  My gun also has the factory over travel stop which I had to adjust almost all the way out for minimal over travel.  Even with the over travel screw in the original spot it was for the factory trigger, the Timney isn't close to hitting it, as it does have a decent reduced over travel.  I hope they just sell the trigger down the road to use in carry/duty guns.  I've never tried an apex and probably never will because this trigger is nice.